tonybreed: a blog

Friday, December 21, 2007

We Found You Lying - 12/21 show

Happy Winter Solstice! In honor of the solstice I played "Solstice" by Pit Er Pat, which is a local Chicago band. The song has nice off-kilter rhythms, and if probably my favorite off that album (which was I think from last year).

In honor of Christmas I played a Christmas tune — I meant to play more, but sort of forgot. The song I played was Sufjan Stevens' "Get Behind Me Santa", which is a fun and silly song he wrote for his 2006 Christmas Album (he has produced a short Christmas album every year for the past five).

(A little secret: whenever I begin a show with a Siouxsie and the Banshees remix, it means I was running a little late, and wanted an extra-long first song so I could get settled. I'm never late, but I like to get there 15 minutes early; if I only have 5 I feel a little stressed.)

I also played set of some of my absolute favorite tracks from 2006:
"Coffee" by Aesop Rock featuring John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats; "Someone Great" by LCD Soundsystem; and "Heart It Races" by Architecture in Helsinki. All three are uptempo and danceable; "Coffee" and "Heart It Races" have quirky rhythms, while "Someone Great" is more standard electro. Interestingly, "Someone Great" rather faded between the two other songs, which I did not expect, since it really is a stand-out track.

Three more stand-out tracks next week!

*: new stuff
(r): requests

artistsongalbumlabel
Siouxsie and the BansheesCities in Dust (Eruption Mix)The Best of Siouxsie and the BansheesPolydor UK
Pit Er PatSolsticePyramidsThrill Jockey
*White WilliamsNew ViolenceSmokeTigerbeat6
*The DragonsYour Way TooBFINinja Tune
The JudybatsPain Makes You BeautifulPain Makes You BeautifulSire
Jamie LidellMultiplyMultiplyWARP
*WeenBlue BalloonLa CucarachaRounder
Quasar Wut WutThankful Hank and the GuzzardTaro SoundGlorious Noise
The Shangri-La'sGive Him a Great Big KissThe Myrmidons of MelodramaRPM
*Ariel Pink's Haunted GraffittiAre You Gonna Look After My BoysScared FamousHuman Ear Music
*Bonnie 'Prince' BillyAm I DemonAsk Forgiveness EPDrag City
Woody GuthriePretty Boy FloydWorried Man BluesSpecial Music
Luciana SouzaCorcovadoNorth and SouthSunnyside
Sufjan StevensGet Behind Me SantaSongs for Christmas Vol V: PeaceAsthmatic Kitty
Adam and the AntsThe Magnificent FiveKings of the Wild FrontierColumbia
*Moving UnitsCrash 'N' Burn VictimsHexes for ExesMetropolis
OfficeBig Bang Jump!A Night at the RitzScratch/New Line
*Daft PunkAround the World/Harder Faster StrongerAlive 2007Virgin
*WireOur TimeRead & Burn 03Pink Flag
*Antony and the JohnsonsKnockin' on Heaven's DoorI'm Not There OSTColumbia/Sony
(r)MahjonggTHE rRABBITTRaydoncongCold Crush
(r)Alkaline TrioMetroSinglesAsian Man Records
Aesop RockCoffeeNone Shall PassDefinitive Jux
LCD SoundsystemSomeone GreatSound of SilverDFA/Capitol
Architecture in HelsinkiHeart It RacesPlaces Like ThisPolyvinyl

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 6:07 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged