tonybreed: a blog

Friday, December 14, 2007

To Keep Our Dazed Lives Going - 12/14 show

Does anyone know how to pronounce "Brakhage"? This is the name of the first song I played today, by Stereolab (and a song I discovered when it was used in a commercial, I think for Volkswagen). Stan Brakhage (the namesake of the song) was an American experimental filmmaker; you can find all kinds of information about him online, but not the pronunciation of his name.

Browsing through the WLUW catalogue this morning, I found an Afrika Bambaataa album from 2004. I don't know Afrika Bambaataa all that well; to me, he's mainly a name from the student-painted murals in my high school (mostly painted in the late 70's and maybe the early 80's — other artists honored included Jethro Tull). I knew he's a well respected name in the music industry; I didn't realize he was still producing music, though. I also hadn't realized Gary Numan was still active as well, though I knew he'd had a full career beyond his 1981 hit "Cars". So I pulled the CD to play, and ended up playing the track that the two collaborated on, along with MC Chatterbox. It was a fun track, and Gary Numan's sound came through loud and clear (not always the case with collaborations like that).

Well, now is the time of year when I put together my best-of-the-year list, which is always hard. There was a lot of good stuff this year — my short list for the top 10 albums ended up with about 20 albums on it. I'm whittling it down, and I should be settled on it by my 1/4 show, maybe even my 12/28 show.

*: new stuff
(r): requests

artistsongalbumlabel
StereolabBrakhageDots and LoopsElektra
Throwing MusesFishLonely is an Eyesore4AD
*White WilliamsThe ShadowSmokeTigerbeat6
(r)Sondre LercheTwo Way MonologueTwo Way MonologueAstralwerks
*The DragonsFood for my SoulBFINinja Tune
*Cass McCombsThat's ThatDropping the WritDomino
Van MorrisonSpanish RoseBang MastersEpic/Legacy
Neko CaseTrain from Kansas CityThe Tigers Have SpokenAnti-
*Daft PunkOne More TimeAlive2007Virgin
*G&DTimeThe MessageUni Versa
The Aluminum GroupBe KilledHappynessWishing Tree
Martha and the MuffinsWomen Around the World at WorkThis is the Ice AgeEMI/Virgin
The La'sFeelin'The La'sGo!
Tom WaitsTrain SongFrank's Wild YearsIsland
HaaleThis HighParatrooperDarya
*Six Organs of AdmittanceJade Like WineShelter from under the AshDrag City
*A Place to Bury StrangersBreatheA Place to Bury StrangersKiller Pimp
BlurTher's No Other WayLeisureSBK Records
*Push-PullBrain Fever3 EPJoyful Noise
MadnessShame and ScandalThe Dangerman SessionsLive & Intensified
Har Mar SuperstarBird in the HandThe HandlerRecord Collection
Afrika Bambaataa featuring Gary Numan and MC ChatterboxMetalDark Matter Moving at the Speed of LightTommy Boy
Walter MeegoThrough a Keyhole TourThrough a Keyhole Tour EPself-released
*Malcom MiddletonA Brighter BeatA Brighter BeatFull Time Hobby
ZerostarsFearlessThe good Can't Escapeself-released
The Shangri-La'sGive Him a Great Big KissThe Myrmidons of MelodramaRPM
(r)Asian Dub FoundationStrong Culture (Juttla & Charged remix)Frontline 1993-97Beggar's Banquet

posted by Tony at 5:47 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged