tonybreed: a blog

Monday, November 26, 2007

Pretending the echoes belong to someone... subbing for Claire on 11/26

Today I received an email news update from the Chicago Tribune that Jeannette Sliwinski had been sentenced to 8 years in prison for the killing of three local Chicago musicians. Sliwinski had intended to kill herself when she accelerated up to 87 miles per hour before slamming into stopped traffic — but she didn't kill herself; instead she killed the three men in the car she hit: Douglas Meis, Michael Dahlquist, and John Glick.

I first heard about this story in the spring of 2006 when I was doing a Memorial Day show. I invited listeners to call in with suggestions of musicians who had died, and this was one of the stories I heard.

So I decided to honor their memory again today by playing a song by each of the bands that they were in: The Dials, The Returnables, and Silkworm. And I read a little about the story in the paper.

I got a call thanking me for the tribute, by someone (a friend, or a relative perhaps) who had been in the courtroom earlier when the sentence was read. He told me that with good behavior she'd only have to serve 4 years, and with time served, that's less than two years away.

I didn't know what to say; to me this story had been sort of abstract, another person's tragedy. But this phone call brought it home and made it concrete. There is real pain behind the news, but you don't fully understand that until you are talking to someone involved.

I did make me think about the nature of community radio. We the DJs come from the community, and we play for the community, and sometimes what we play is about the community, and sometimes the community calls us and we make a connection.

I thanked him for calling and giving the information. It was very touching, and I'm glad he liked the set.


*: new stuff
(r): requests

artistsongalbumlabel
The Postal ServiceWe Will Become SilhouettesGive UpSup Pop
The Beautiful SouthYou Keep It All InCarry On Up the ChartsMercury
*Morning RecordingsJoin the CurtainsThe Welcome KineticLoose Thread
Kate BushTop of the CityThe Red ShoesColumbia
The MoodswingsRainsongThe MoodswingsArista
Maya AngelouSince Me Man Has Done Gone and WentDivas ExoticaCapitol
*White WilliamsIn the ClubSmokeTigerbeat6
*Speck MountainStockholmSummer AboveBurnt Brown Sounds
eX-GirlVenus vs. Gas OnnaEndangered SpeciesAlternative Tentacles
Grandmaster FlashThe MessageThe MessageSakkaris
The DialsNothing But CrazyFlex TimeLatest Flame
The ReturnablesTeenage ImpostersThe ReturnablesDirt Nap
SilkwormPenalty BoxIt'll Be CoolTouch and Go
*The Mary OnettesThe LaughtersThe Mary OnettesLabrador
*FigurinesHey GirlWhen the Deer Wore BlueControl Group
Rufus WainwrightApril FoolRufus WainwrightDreamworks
Laurie AndersonThe Day the DevilTalk Normal AnthologyRhino
Meryn CadellInventoryAngel Food for ThoughtBongo Beat
*MusclesChocolate Raspberry Lemon & LimeGuns Babes LemonadeModular
*Six Organs of AdmittanceJade Like WineShelter from the AshDrag City
Nina SimoneKangarooIt'll End in Tears4AD
Robert PollardTomorrow Will Not Be Another DayNormal HappinessMerge
Troubled HubbleEverything's Going to Be Fine in CanadaThe Sun Beamed OffMagic Spot
*The OwlsApocalypseDaughters and SunsMagic Marker
*CitayFirst FantasyLittle KingdomsDead Oceans
Aztec CameraDown the DipHigh Land, Hard RainTokuma Japan/Rough Trade
Bettye LaVetteSleep to DreamI've Got My Own Hell to RaiseAnti-/Epitaph
*Band of HorsesIslands on the CoastCease to BeginSub Pop
The Go-Go'sYou Can't Walk in Your Sleep (If You Can't Sleep)Beauty and the BeatI.R.S.

Labels:

posted by Tony at 7:08 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger calamityjj said...

I'm thrilled you still play Aztec Camera! I only have the orig. cassette of High Land Hard Rain that my older brother gave me...

12/06/2007 12:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged