tonybreed: a blog

Friday, December 07, 2007

Don't Point That Gun at Me - 12/7 show

I can't help it; whenever I hear a song from disc 2 of New Order's early best-of Substance, it reminds me of sitting in a restaurant in O'Hare airport in 1991. I'd gotten the tape of Substance a few years earlier, and knew all the songs well; I bought the CD in the fall of my sophomore year of college, which doubles the amount of music by adding disc 2. So it was at Christmas of 1990 that I was just getting to know the music on this second disc. On this particular trip, I'd bought my tickets way in advance, and the airline had changed the departure time by some 5 hours. I didn't find out till I got to the airport; it had been my travel agency's responsibility (remember them?) to inform me of the change, and for whatever they just hadn't. So I found myself waiting at O'Hare for 5 hours, killing time having lunch and listening to music, and this is the CD I remember.

"1963" is an odd song; it's basically a ballad (in the strict definition of a song that tells a story), which is unusual for New Order (whose lyrics typically are only barely meaningful). It tells the story of a man who kills his wife, told from the point of view of the wife, sung by a man. I don't expect to feel anything from New Order songs, except perhaps from the quality of the music itself (minor keys, arpeggios, staccato beats, etc), but somehow I do find myself affected by this song when I listen to it. This refrain, sung without passion by Bernard Sumner, "Johnny, don't point that gun at me | there's so many ways our lives have changed | but please I beg don't do this to me". It's the lack of passion that makes the song poignant. Words that should be of terror are sung with resignation, as if the main character is already dead when she sings, just looking back at the time when it all ended.

So that song started my show today.

Today was the first day I played LPs, starting with "Aeroplane City Lovesong" by the Blow Monkeys, which was maybe an odd first choice. The Blow Monkeys started our as a jazz-punk band, but by the time of this second album (Animal Magic) they were more jazz-pop; in later albums they made pop, dance-pop, and more jazz-pop, but never returned to the early punk edge. I also played something from the first album by Underworld. Underworld's first two albums are of a style very different from their later career (and they have a new album I haven't heard yet). The Underworld of "Glory! Glory!" and the Underworld of "Born Slippy" are essentially two different bands with the same name. The third LP was the Tourists, the power-pop band Dave Stewart and Annie Lennox were in before they started Eurythmics. The Tourists' music is more raw than the early Eurythmics music that Stewart and Lennox produced right afterward. It lacks the oversampled harmonies and crooning vocals; vocals instead are handled mostly by Peet Coombes and Annie Lennox singing together. It's interesting to compare the music to the later music by Eurythmics, and my Lennox and Stewart on their own, but also, it's good music on its own.

Finally, I got a request today for The Soft Pink Truth, which is essentially a house music project by Matmos' Drew Daniel. Matmos' music is always interesting, and I enjoyed the song by The Soft Pink Truth that I played. But, in the further adventures of "how funny is the world", I was looking at the liner notes, and there's a picture of Blevin Blectum (who plays on one of the other tracks on the CD). Who's that? The stage name of a classmate from high school. I didn't know her well, but we were in advanced English together for a few years. Her cousin is Gavin Russom, who, with Delia Gonzalez, had an CD that was in rotation at WLUW last year; I went to high school with him, too, though he was a few years younger. So I googled Blevin Blectum and found reference to her brother, who was a friend of mine; it turns out he records under the name Kelley Polar. Check out the song "Chrysanthemum". It's good.

*: new stuff
(r): requests

artistsongalbumlabel
New Order1963SubstanceQwest
The Art of NoiseHow Rapid?In No Sense? Nonsense!China
Carmen MirandaMama Eu QueroDivas ExoticaCapitol
The Fiery FurnacesTropical/IcelandEPRough Trade
*White WilliamsNew ViolenceSmokeTigerbeat6
*The Mary OnettesExplosionsThe Mary OnettesLabrador
Charles MingusBoogie Stop ShuffleMingus Ah UmColumbia/Legacy
Curtis MayfieldSuperflySuperflyRhino
The Blow MonkeysAeroplane City LovesongAnimal MagicRCA
*Cass McCombsPregnant PauseDropping the WritDomino
*The Scotland Yard Gospel ChoirBroken Front TeethThe Scotland Yard Gospel ChoirBloodshot
UnderworldGlory! Glory!Underneath the RadarSire
Laurie AndersonStrange AngelsStrange Angels Warner Brothers
*White RabbitDinner PartyFort NightlySay Hey
Squirrel Nut ZippersGift of the MagiChristmas CaravanMammoth
Lena Horne'Deed I DoSome of the BestStanyan
Ronnie WhiteheadBegging YouEccentric Soul: Mighty Mike LenaburgNumero Group
*Morning RecordingsSugar WaltzThe Welcome KineticLoose Thread
*MusclesIce CreamGuns Babes LemonadeModular
Les Negresses VertesHou! Mamma Mia10 RemixesRazzia Disques
The TouristsDon't Say I Told You SoLuminous BasementEpic
*Prefuse 73 feat. School of Seven BellsThe Class of 73 BellsPreparationsWARP
*The HivesTick Tick BoomThe Black and White AlbumA&M
(r)The Soft Pink TruthMedia Truth/Vampire State BuildingDo You Want New Wave or Do You Want...Tigerbeat6
Os MutantesQuem Tem Medo de Brincar de AmorA Divina Comedia OuOmplatten
(r)José GonzalezTeardropIn Our NatureMute
Barenaked LadiesHannukah BlessingsBarenaked for the HolidaysDesperations Records
*Malcolm MiddletonWe're All Going to DieA Brighter BeatFull Time Hobby

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 11:34 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged