tonybreed: a blog

Friday, April 20, 2007

Our lives still change from the way that we were: 4/20 show

Notes on the music I played:
I play Zerostars fairly often, and there's a story behind that. Mainly it's because I like the music, and we are required to play 2 songs from local bands per hour. But there's more. Zerostars are a local band, and I work with the lead singer's sister, Suzanne. When I heard her brother was in a band, I didn't say "hey, somebody's brother has a band, I want to hear it!", I just kind of ignored it. I knew people in bands in high school; it was often not very interesting. In any event, one day I heard they were performing live on WLUW on the Razor and Di show, and so I gave the a listen, and I thought, "hey, these guys are good, I should be paying attention to this." So I talked to Suzanne about it, and got a copy of their first CD for the station, reviewed it, and got it into the catalog. I'm looking forward to their next CD, which I hear is coming along slowly. Some of the new songs can be heard on their MySpace page. Good stuff.

A couple of years ago Eric and I went to a free winter concert in downtown Chicago, featuring, among others, Mavis Staples. (Chicago does a series of free concerts in the winter that they call "Winter Delights".) Mavis Staples is a Chicago legend with a powerful voice, and the concert was a lot of fun. Now she has a new album out that we just got in the studio. When I saw that some of the songs featured Ladysmith Black Mambazo (perhaps best known for collaborating with Paul Simon on Graceland) I thought, well, I just have to play one of those songs! Great song.; very bluesy and rootsy. Without Ladysmith Black Mambazo it would still be a great song, but they add a layer of gorgeous harmony that really makes the song special.

Everybody's talking about Bright Eyes these days, it seems. I played Bright Eyes today because I had concert tickets to give away; I'm frankly not all that interested. I did hear a song I liked the other day (from another DJ also giving away tickets), but the one I played was not much to my taste, and I think sort of illustrative of what I was afraid it would be: generally mopey and with a quavery voice. (I don't mind sad songs, and mopey can be fine if it's done right — see the Smiths — but I don't think mopey in itself is a recommendation.) There is another angle to Bright Eyes, though. The band centers on one guy, Conor Oberst who has been recording since he was 14 (roughly half his life), and started Bright Eyes at 15. There is something potentially irritating about a child prodigy... that is, if you are not impressed, you are probably annoyed. It's a jealousy thing; it's unattractive, but there you are. Anyway, combine "child prodigy" with "mopey", and... well anyway, I have felt that I was probably not being fair, but I don't really plan to explore the band more. There are plenty of other bands out there that do interest me.

*: new stuff
(r): requests

artistsongalbumlabel
New OrderConfusionSelections from RetroWarner Brothers
The RaptureThe Pop SongOut of the Races and onto the TracksSub Pop
*Au Revoir SimoneA Violent Yet Flammable WorldThe Bird of MusicMoshi Moshi Music
*Bill CallahanSycamoreWoke on a WhaleheartDrag City
ZerostarsThe Good Can't EscapeThe Good Can't EscapeSelf-released
zerostars.com
*CocoRosieRainbowarriorsThe Adventures of Ghost Horse and StillbornTouch and Go
Matthew SweetScooy-Doo, Where Are You?Saturday Morning Cartoons' Greatest HitsMCA
The Free DesignNow Is the TimeHeaven/EarthLight in the Attic
Kaspar HauserFossilQuixotic/TaxidermyBackwardmasking
*Mavis Staples feat. Ladysmith Black MambazoDown in MississippiWe'll Never Turn BackAnti-
The Mortal CoilHelp Me Lift You UpBlood4AD
(r)SloanI Wanna Thank YouNavy BluesMurderecords
*Patrick WolfThe StarsThe Magic PositionTomlab
Tom WaitsEmotional Weather ReportNighthawks at the DinerAsylum
Everything but the GirlCorcovadoRed Hot + RioAntilles
*Los StraightjacketsDe Dia y de Noche (All Day and All of the Night)Rock en Español Vol.1Yep Roc
*Dntel feat. Conor OberstBreakfast in BedDumb LuckSub Pop
Laurie AndersonCoolsvilleTalk Normal AnthonologyWarner Archives/Rhino
(r)Scissor SistersComfortably NumbScissor SistersPolydor
*KlaxonsAs Above, So BelowMyths of Near FutureRinse/DGC
*Vieux Farka TouréAnaVieux Farka TouréWorld Village
*Henry PadovaniY a plus d'saisonsA croire que c'était pour la vieCIA
CanastaAll this DustWe Were Set UpBroken Middle C
Bright EyesFirst Day of My LifeI'm Wide Awake, It's MorningSaddle Creek
*IdlewildIf It Takes You HomeMake Another WorldSanctuary
volcano!Apple or a GunBeautiful SeizureLeaf
Cliff and Barbara ThomasJumpin' JackThe Legendary Sun RecordsCastle Pulse
Les SéquellesCrac! Boom! Hue! Oh! Hé! Hein! Bon!Et tant pis si cela vous déplaîtGrenadine

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 6:12 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged