tonybreed: a blog

Friday, April 13, 2007

Now, Today, Tomorrow, and Always: 4/13 show

Music notes for this week:

Brigitte Fontaine is a name I recognized from the music segment of NPR's The World — she'd put out a new album, and it was very avant garde and interesting, and I thought about buying it. I never did. But this morning I found an album of hers from 1971 in the WLUW collection, and so I pulled it out and played something from it. Avante garde and interesting it was, indeed.

The London Suede (In London, they are just called "Suede".) This song and this album was one of many I discovered in 1999 while we were staying in Paris. I discovered Oui FM, a rock radio station in Paris (a relative rarity in France) that had a great playlist. There was a lot of Brit Pop, and a lot of French rock. I had to listen very hard to catch the names of the artists. Through that station, I discovered The London Suede, Supergrass, Travis, Manu Chao, Sargent Garcia, and Les Innocents (all of which I bought), as well as Chris Cornell and Skunk Anansie (which I did not). (Chris Cornell is in fact American — the former lead singer the very successful band Soundgarden, out of Seattle. I never heard his solo work at all, stateside.) For years I continued to listen to Oui FM over the internet, though I haven't done so nearly as much since discovering WLUW. In any event, "Everything Will Flow" is a very evocative song for me. I feel like I'm sitting in that tiny, ridiculous apartment, listening to the boombox I bought in Portugal eating maybe a lemon tart or some stinky cheese. Ah, that was a very good month. (Read about our 2½-month Europe trip here)

CocoRosie is a band made up of a pair of sisters... I will spare you the rehash of the odd details of their lives, except to say that they reunited in Paris after not having seen each other for 10 years, and then began making music. It's hard to imagine that two sisters who had been more or less estranged could come together to produce work this idiosyndratic. In order to create work that is this strange (even for independent music), you need people who are profoundly in tune with each other — who bring the same goals and desires to their music. I've heard a few songs from their earlier albums; I've always wanted to explore them further.

Bobby Conn is a local artist who make funk and glam music and tries to create a sort of mythos around himself. (For example, I seem to recall his web site proudly touted an earlier conviction for telephone fraud.) The piece I played is an extremely entertaining 1½-minute spoken word item. I REALLY enjoyed playing it. It's particularly fun over headphones, because the monologue alternates channels.

Tracey Thorn I reviewed this CD quickly and got it into the station so it could be possibly put into rotation. It didn't go ito rotation, though, it just went into the catalogue — because I gave it a lackluster review. It grew on me as I listened to it, and I ended up liking it pretty well, but frankly, I expected more. I have one Everything But the Girl album (which does not make me an expert); by comparison, Thorn's solo work is just a bit uneven. Still, I do like some of it, especially the song I played today. This song sounds to me a lot like the 80's song "Let the Music Play" by Shannon. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it had made it onto the in-store playlist at the Gap. I'm not sure how I feel about that. These chain stores are certainly corporate and soulless, but the music they have put together for in-store play is generally better than the music you hear on most radio stations. I wonder why that is?


*: new stuff
(r): requests

artistsongalbumlabel
The SmithsShoplifters of the World UniteSinglesReprise
The CellsGrocery StoreSelf-Released EPSelf-released
thecells.net
*CorneliusWataridoriSensuousEverloving
*JoakimI Wish You Were GoneMonsters and Silly Songs!K7
Alison MoyetWhispering Your NameEssexColumbia
Brigitte Fontaine et Areki avec Art Ensemble of ChicagoL'été l'étéComme à la radioSaravah
*AirPhotographPocket SymphonyAstralwerks
The London SuedeEverything Will FlowHeadmusicnude/Columbia
The Scotland Yard Gospel ChoirWould You Still Love Me If I Were in a Knife FightI Bet You Say That to All the BoysFashion Brigade
*Jarvis CockerFat ChildrenThe Jarvis Cocker RecordRough Trade
The GossipHoly WaterStanding in the Way of ControlKill Rock Stars
*TinariwenImidiwan WinakalinAman Iman: Water is LifeWorld Willage
Grace JonesLiving My LifePrivate Life: The Compass Point SessionsIsland
Martha and the MuffinsYou Sold the CottageThis Is the Ice AgeDindisc/EMI/Virgin
The ClashLost in the SupermarketLondon CallingEpic
Wanda JacksonFujiyama MamaVintage CollectionEpic
*CocoRosieRainbowarriorsThe Adventures of Ghosthorse and StillbornTouch and Go
*TV on the RadioProvinceLive at Amoeba MusicInterscope
The Folk ImplosionOne Part LullabyOne Part LullabyInterscope
*Patrick WolfThe StarsThe Magic PositionTomlab
Bobby ConnPunch the Sky!King for a DayThrill Jockey
*Tracey ThornIt's All TrueOut of the WoodsAstralwerks
The SpeediesYou Need PopYellow Pills: PrefillNumero Group
LCD SoundsystemTime to Get AwaySound of SilverDFA/Capitol
The WillowzGet DownThe WillowzPosh Boy
ZerostarsLike Young Lovers DoThe Good Can't EscapeSelf-released
zerostars.com
*The RosebudsWhen the Lights Went DownNight of the FuriesMerge
John VandersliceWhen It Hits My BloodCellar DoorBarsuk

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 9:27 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger gems and purls said...

tones, do you remember about a billion years ago, when your dad used the phrase 'tastes like the insides of a dusty old radio' to describe a particular wine, and i wrote to you and asked 'wtf??'.

coco rosie sounds like the taste of the insides of a dusty old radio.

4/16/2007 2:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged