tonybreed: a blog

Friday, March 23, 2007

It's only springtime: 3/23 show

A spring-themed show! Thanks for all the requests.

Some notes one what I played:

The Super Furry Animals I discovered the song Ysbeidiau Heulog several years ago before I had even started listening to WLUW. The station I heard it on would i.d. the song merely as "Welsh", as in "that was the Super Furry Animals, and that song is Welsh". It took me a little while to figure out what the song was. It sounded to me like they were singing "lazy eye, halo"; it's actually pronounced iz-BAY-dee-eye HAY-log. I found a web page listing and translating the lyrics. The name means "sunny intervals", and so it seemed like a good spring song. The song has a nice psychedlic vibe; I still don't really know the rest of the album, Mwng, which is a two-CD set of rock entirely in Welsh.

Meanwhile, the Super Furry Animals' lead singer, Gruff Rhys, has a solo project out now, and I played the title track (Candylion) from it right before this song. It was pretty different; you wouldn't know it was even the same singer. It's sort of a sweet silly song you might sing to your kids.

LCD Soundsystem's new album is one of the hotly anticipated releases of 2008. I don't have much to say about it since I haven't heard the whole thing, but I'm liking what I hear, and I liked the last album.

Office was one of the breakout local Chicago bands last year. Q&A was self-released (in 2005, according to Wikipedia), and last year they signed with an indie label. As you may recall, I ranked this band as one of my top 10 of 2006, and while I'm rethinking some of those placements (Alice Smith should have just been an honorable mention, I'm thinking now), I'd still place Q&A near the top.

Orwell is a French band I discovered on WLUW before I was a DJ, and I put this CD (The Following Days) on my Amazon wish list, and then kind of forgot about it. By surprise I got it for Christmas this year, and I've been listening to it a lot, and it's really a great CD. This song, Fear of Mars, has the feel of a single about it, like it's designed for radio play. So I obliged today.

*: new stuff
(r): requests

artistsong/albumlabel
Tom WaitsNew Coat of Paint / The Heart of Saturday NightAsylum
Neko CaseTrain from Kansas City / The Tigers Have SpokenAnti
Grace JonesLa Vie en Rose / Island LifeIsland
*!!!Heart of Hearts / Myth TakesWARP
*BonoboThe Fever / Days to ComeNinja Tune
*Panda BearSearch for Delicious / Person PitchPaw Tracks
Aretha FranklinSkylark / Sweet Bitter LoveColumbia
Saint EtienneSpring / Foxbase AlphaWarner Brothers
(r) The Velvet UndergroundLisa Says/ VuVerve
*Mess Up the MessCrystal Pools / You Remind Me of Summer VacationParoxysm
RoyceGirls on Bikes / Tuff LoveGalapagos4
*Gruff RhysCandylion / CandylionTeam Love
The Super Furry AnimalsYsbeidiau Heulog / MwngFlydaddy
The Folk ImplosionOne Part Lullaby / One Part LullabyInterscope
Rufus Wainwright14th Street / Want OneDreamworks
Hank WilliamsI'm So Lonesome I Could Cry / 20 Greatest HitsPolydor
*FeistThe Water / My Moon My Man EPCherrytree
*LCD SoundsystemWatch the Tapes / Sound of SilverDFA/Capitol
OfficeIf You Don't Know by Now / Q&Aself-released
www.reachoffice.com
*Trans AmObscene Strategies / Sex ChangeThrill Jockey
The ZincsNew Thought / DimmerThrill Jockey
The B-52'sQueen of Las Vegas / Whammy!Warner Brothers
*The StoogesShe Took My Money / The WeirdnessVirgin
(r) The Fiery FurnacesHere Comes the Summer / EPRough Trade
Blossom DearieThey Say It's Spring / Jazz MastersVerve
*Andrew BirdSimple X / Armchair ApocryphaFat Possum
The ProclaimersSean / Sunshine on LeithChrysalis
OrwellFear of Mars / The Following DaysHidden Agenda/Europop

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 11:42 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged