tonybreed: a blog

Friday, March 30, 2007

She's filing her nails while they're dragging the lake: 3/30 show

Some notes on what I played:

Ben Folds It was Eric's sister Susanne who introduced me to Ben Folds a good 10 years ago or so, by giving us her copy of the Ben Folds Five's second album, which she didn't want anymore. The trio's third album (yes, the Ben Folds Five was of course a trio), The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner, was in my opinion their finest work, and Ben Folds's finest work. Still, Folds continues to make good music. (I've seen a couple of his shows. He's a good performer, probably at his best when performing solo. The fans, on the other hand, are an irritating crowd I'd prefer not to be around. Note to any fans reading this: I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about the other ones.) Anyway, Recently Ben Folds put out a full-length album that combined material he'd put out on EPs over the past few years. Not as good as Reinhold Messner, and sort of fragmented, as you might expect from an album meshed together from 4 EPs. One of the stand-out tracks, though, is "Dog". One of the things Folds does best — that no one else I've found is doing — is catchy but complicated piano parts. He also has a (less unique) talent for clever lyrics and good hooks. "Dog" is an excellent example of this. The lyrics begin by examining what dogs do and how they relate to us, and expands from there into philosophizing. (Philosophy that is coherent if not especially deep.)

Tinariwen is a band out of the Touareg area of Mali. There's something I find very odd about the idea that Volkswagen has introduced an SUV named after a people of the Western Sahara. How do the Touareg feel about this? In any event, this is a new album and I'm just learning about it now. Like a lot of African music groups, the songs trend on the long side, which can create a dilemma for a DJ — if I play this song, that's fewer songs I get to play overall. (Generally, I welcome the opportunity to breathe for a few extra minutes and not have only a couple of minutes to chose my next song.) The Tinariwen song I played elicited a "what's this you are playing, I like it" call. And I liked it too, and I'm going to keep exploring it. I can't really explain the sound yet, because I don't know it well enough yet — but my impression is Afro-pop, but slightly different from more standard Afro-pop.

The Style Council "The Paris Match" is a song my friend Sarah J. put on a mix for me some 15 years ago or so. It's actually the second version of the song TSC recorded. The first one was recorded in French (with maybe one English verse), with Paul Weller doing vocals; it's just OK, nothing special. The second version is found on Café Bleu, at a time when Dee C. Lee was in the process of joining the group, but not officially a part of it. (She's featured on a few of the tracks on teh album.) Rather than Lee or Weller on vocals, this Paris Match features the smokey alto vocals of Tracey Thorn of Everything but the Girl. This version is transcendant. TSC created here a real smokey jazz sound that is quite unlike the jazz-inflected pop they usually made. While I enjoy their hits — "How She Threw It All Away" and "My Every Changing Moods" — I prefer their more unusual and creative work, like "The Paris Match" and "The Story of Someone's Shoe". Meanwhile, Tracey Thorn has a new solo album out, and I picked it up at the station today to review. I haven't heard it yet, but it will surely make on the air next week.

Lady Sovereign is the current darling of the British Grime scene, a style of Rap with angular, jerky rhythms. "9 to 5" is a cute song about the dark side of success: you have to work. It's also insanely catchy, with a Carribean edge more like Lily Allen than Sov. I had it in my head all day.

*: new stuff
(r): requests

artistsong/albumlabel
Elvis Costello and the AttractionsWatching the Detectives / The Very Best of...Rykodisc
Ben FoldsDog / Supersunnyspeedgraphic LPAttacked by Plastic/Epic
*Mess Up the MessHippocratic Oaf / You Remind Me of Summer VacationParoxysm
The Smoking PopesZing Went the Strings of My Heart / The Party's OverDouble Zero
(r)ManishevitzMary Ann / City LifeJagJaguwar
*!!!Bend Over Beethoven / Myth TakesWARP
MorrisseyThe Last of the Famous International Playboys / Bona DragSire
Simon & GarfunkelLike a Bridge over Troubled Water / Old FriendsColumbia/Legacy
*AirMer du Japon / Pocket SymphonyAstralwerks
*TinariwenTamatant Tilay / Aman Iman: Water Is LifeWorld Village
The Aluminum GroupTiny Decision / HappynessWishing Tree
The Fiery FurnacesGuns under the Counter / Rehearsing My ChoirRough Trade
*The PostmarksSummer Never Seems to Last / The PostmarksUnfiltered
The Style CouncilThe Paris Match / Café BleuPolydor
The ReplacementsCan't Hardly Wait / Pleased to Meet MeSire
The Andrews SistersRum and Coca Cola / Greatest HitsCURB Records
*Jo Ann GarrettGoin' Man Huntin' / Twinight's Lunar RotationNumero Group
*El-PRun the Numbers / I'll Sleep When You're DeadDef Jux
Lady Sovereign9 to 5 / Public WarningIsland/Def Jam
(r)DevoThrough Being Cool / Hot Potatoes: the Best of DevoVirgin
TrickyBlack Steel / MaxinquayeIsland
*Gruff RhysGyrru Gyrru Gyrru / CandylionTeam Love
Troubled HubbleLonesome Hawthorne / The Sun Beamed off the Name MauriceMagic Spot
*The MelvinsYou're Never Right / A Senile AnimalIpecac
Laurie AndersonGravity's Rainbow / The Talk Normal AnthologyRhino
Vyvienne LongSeven Nation Army / Even Better than the Real Thing
CanastaSympathetic Vibrations / We Were Set UpBroken Middle C
*The ZincsBurdensome Son / Black PompadourThrill Jockey

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 10:32 AM

1 Comments:

Blogger gems and purls said...

awwww, i got a shout-out on the interwebs, or something.

4/02/2007 2:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged