tonybreed: a blog

Friday, April 06, 2007

Flaccid Ego in Your Hand: 4/6 show

Next weekend is the annual WLUW Record Fair! It promises to be a good time -- lots of vinyl and CDs for sale, as well as other stuff. Check out the link above, and then come next weekend. And you can save money by bringing a copy of an ad (print out this one)

Some notes on what I played:
The Talking Heads I got into the Talking Heads when the movie Stop Making Sense came out, which was really quite a while ago. On this album, Remain in Light, the Talking Heads experimented with complex polyrhythms. When David Byrne didn't want to continue in that vein, the rest of the band decided to form the Tom Tom Club so they could continue with it. (At least, that's the story I heard.) I discovered this song, "The Great Curve", on a mix CD made for me by JJ back in college. What I didn't realize about it till I was playing it on the radio is that it's about 6½ minutes long. But it's an awesome song.

The Fiery Furnaces are known for some pretty quirky work, but this song, "Tropical/Iceland", really sounds to me like a remake of something from the fifties. It's got a good light pop sound to it, overlaid with a new indie rock sound — a combination that creates that cover song sound.

There's a lot to say about CocoRosie, but I don't have it together yet. I'll have to listen more. Everything I've heard from them so far is interesting but bizarre.



*: new stuff
(r): requests


artistsong/albumlabel
Siouxsie and the BansheesPeek-A-Boo (Silver Dollar Mix) / The Best of Siouxsie and the BansheesPolydor UK
Grandmaster FlashThe Message / The MessageSakharis
*Jarvis CockerBlack Magic / The Jarvis Cocker RecordRought Trade
*Kaspar HauserGlass Case Full of Dead, Stuffed Birds / Quixotic/TaxidermyBackwardmasking
Fiery FurnacesTropical/Iceland / EPRough Trade
Stephin MerrittUkelele Me! / ShowtunesNonesuch
*AirLeft Bank / Pocket SymphonyAstralwerks
Nouvelle VagueBela Lugosi's Dead / Bande A ParteLuaka Bop
*JoakimLonely Hearts / Monster's and Silly SongsIK7
The Aluminum GroupAngel on a Trampoline / PlanoWishing Tree
The RevelonsThe Way (you touch my hand) / AnthologySepia Tone
*CocoRosieJapan / The Adventures of Ghosthorse and StillbornTouch and Go
Martha WainwrightHow Soon / Bloody Mother Fucking AssholeZoë
The Talking HeadsThe Great Curve / Remain in LightSire
*TinariwenCler Achel / Aman Iman: Water is LifeWorld Village
*LCD SoundsystemUs V Them / Sound of SilverDFA/Capitol
The M'sPlan of Man/Future WomenPolyvinyl
*The Arcade FireThe Well and the Lighthouse / Neon BibleMerge
Gore Gore GirlsMary Ann / 7x4Self released
Magnolia Electric CompanyDon't Fade on Me / Fading TrailSecretly Canadian
Hank WilliamsLong Gone Lonesome Blues / 40 Greatest HitsPolydor
Velma PerkinsI'll Always Love You / Eccentric Soul: Twinight's Lunar RotationNumero Group
Antony and the JohnsonsYou Are My Sister / I Am a Bird NowSecretly Canadian
*Ted Leo and the PharmacistsThe Sons of Cain / Living with the LivingTouch and Go
The JudybatsMargot Known as Missy / Down in the Shacks Where the Satellite Dishes GrowSire

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 11:52 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged