tonybreed: a blog

Friday, March 16, 2007

I put this moment... here: 3/16 show

*: new stuff
(r): requests
♣: Irish — in honor of St. Patrick's day. OK, technically Kate Bush is only half-Irish, and was born near London — but there are Irish influences in her music.

It occurs to me that the "playlists" portion of my blog is not all that interesting, so I'm going to start adding some comments and thoughts about the songs I've played.
  • Los Blops are a Chilean band that was re-released last year, and they have a sort of psychedelic folk quality. "Esencialmente Asi No Más" is one of the finest songs I heard last year — it starts with a gentle sweet folk vibe, with the lead vocalist's beautiful tenor, and then about two-thirds of the way through, electric guitars and music played backwards roll in with a funky baseline, and it finishes by rocking you. The contrast between that folk sound and the psychedelic groove are what make this song so effecting. Expect to hear it on my show every few weeks.
  • The Noisettes are a band I discovered on my show last week. The album was in rotation (we have a rotation of 30 albums in rotation at any time; each hour we are to play any five songs from those 30 albums), and the review stuck on it sounded pretty appealing to me. I like last week's song enough to rip myself a copy of the album to familiarize myself with it more. Conclusion: good stuff. (I haven't heard the whole thing yet — I basically listened to to it on my iPod Shuffle mixed with other stuff. But what I heard, I liked.) So I came in this week planning to play "Bridge to Canada", and found it was no longer in rotation. This happens sometimes. Was it taken out of rotation really quickly? Was it in rotation for a month before I noticed it? Either one is possible. Anyway, it's more or less hard rock mixed with a bit of jazz and soul. It reminds me of Skunk Anansie, a band out of England from the 90's that no one stateside has ever heard of. (Like Skunk Anansie, the Noisettes feature a black singer and a mostly white band singing hard rock — but my comparison is based on the sound and not those superficial similarities.) Comparisons are also made to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and that's not completely off. It's not too accurate, but I'd say fans of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs would like the Noisettes. "Bridge to Canada" is a weird song with a good groove, and that's what I like about it. Even though it's out of rotation, I'll continue exploring this album on the air.
  • Baby Teeth are a local Chicago band I first heard on WLUW's all-local show Radio One (Thursday evenings from 6 to 10pm), and I liked their out-of-control edge, especially on this track. The song rocks, but the lead singer's voice shouts and strains, and you feel that the band is barely holding it together. I come back to this song every few months.
  • Mess Up the Mess is a band out of Washington DC that I reviewed for the station. (Every CD has a review stuck on it, written by a station volunteer, that describes it and recommends the best tracks.) It entered rotation this week (on my suggestion), but last week I played it on my show. I got a call in the studio asking about the song when I played it last week (not this week), and in the past week several people searching for them landed on my blog. So: the album is good and fun garage rock with funny lyrics. To compare to last year's album by the Husbands, this one is less diverse, more consistent, and less harsh. I like garage rock, but I do find the songs tend to sound all the same, which makes it hard to listen to the full albums — but the songs are great for radio and for mix CDs. I'll be playing this one a lot on my show, and a track will probably make it on the next mix CD I make to give away as a pledge premium.

artistsong/albumlabel
The Talking HeadsThank You for Sending Me an Angel / Once in a Lifetime
♣Kate BushJig of Life / Hounds of LoveEMI Manhattan
The Scotland Yard Gospel ChoirShe Just Wants to Move / I Bet You Say That to All the Boysself-released
www.sygc.com
*Emilie SimonIl Pleut / The Flower BookBarclay/Milan
*The PostmarksWatercolors / The PostmarksUnfiltered
Los BlopsEsencialmente Asi No Más / Del Volar de las PalomasShadoks/Normal
ZerostarsLike Lovers Do / The Good Can't Escapeself-released
www.zerostars.com
*Caetano VelosoOutro / CêNonesuch
♣Van Morrison and the ChieftainsTá Mo Chleamhnas Déanta / Irish HeartbeatMercury
*Bonobo featuring BajkaWalk in the Sky / Days to ComeNinja Tune
*The Arcade Fire(Antichrist Television Blues) / Neon BibleMerge
Casiotone for the Painfully AloneRoberta C. / Twinkle EchoTomlab
Pierce TurnerThe Sky and the Ground / The Sky and the GroundRCA
The NoisettesBridge to Canada / What's the Time Mr. Wolf?Universal/Motown
♣Sinéad O'ConnorI Want Your (Hands on Me) / The Lion and the CobraChrysalis
Baby TeethDiaghalev Was Right / The Baby Teeth Albumself-released
babyteethmusic.com
*!!!A New Name / Myth TakesWARP
Manu ChaoMalegria / ClandestinoVirgin
Pelvic DeltaStonewall / Eleven Days
*Mess Up the MessHippocratic Oaf / You Remind Me of Summer VacationParoxysm
*Trans AmClimbing up the Ladder (Parts III and IV) / Sex ChangeThrill Jockey
♣Damien RiceEskimo / OVector/DRM
Dixon BrothersThe School House Fire / Down in the Basement: Joe Bussard's Treasure Trove of Vintage 78'sOld Hat
*Black NagNobody Knows My History / EPself-released
myspace.com/blacknag
*Bobby ConnKing for a Day / King for a DayThrill Jockey
The FutureheadsHounds of Love / The FutureheadsSire
RatatatWildcat / ClassicsXL

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 11:10 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged