tonybreed: a blog

Friday, April 27, 2007

I'd kill a dragon for you and die: 4/27 show

Music notes:
I probably first heard Sinéad O'Connor on the radio (WBRU in Providence), but it was my friend Justin who first bought the album, raved about it, and made us all listen to his favorite song, "Troy", which I played this morning. I remember it well... we were in Nikkola's basement hanging out. I think I was cutting Nikkola's hair. Justin wanted us to hear this song, so he played it for us, and danced around while listening. In the basement rec room there was a metal pillar, and he danced by grabbing onto the pole and swinging himself around it, in a very impassioned performance. I think his hair was pretty long by then; I remember it flying around and he danced. The Lion and the Cobra was fairly edgy stuff — the sort of stuff O'Connor shied away from later, saying that was not the musician she'd ever wanted to be. (It's a little depressing to think that the sound of this album was not what she'd wanted herself, but was rather the product of handlers, telling her to be angry and to keen and wail.) Anyway, "Troy" is probably the most challenging song on the album, though perhaps the most rewarding. I confess that the combination of that song and Justin swinging on the pole, his hair swinging about, was a bit much for me. It was a couple of years before I finally bought the album.

The oddest thing that has happened to me in a while is that I was reading the New Yorker last Sunday, and, in an article about music, they mentioned a singer named Haale. I thought, I used to know someone by that name — 17 years ago when I spent a summer (5 weeks or so, really) at Yale after freshman year of college. Could it be her? How common could the name Haale be? It's hard to know. In any event, I looked it up on the internet, and in fact it is her, and not only that, she was coming through Chicago on tour, at performing at the Hot House on Wednesday. I thought about going, but was a little on the fence about it (it takes a lot to get me out of the house these days) until I listened to her songs via MySpace. So I was completely sold on it, and I went to the concert, and it really bowled me over. The music is great (a rich, dense fusion of American rock and Persian Sufi music), her stage presence is great (natural but compelling), and her backing band was amazing (a guitarist and a drummer; is it really possible that the three of them could fill the room with sound like that?) After the show I bought myself her two CDs (a matching pair of 5-song EPs), and got her manager to donate two signed copies to WLUW to sell on our eBay auction. I'm reviewing the CDs for inclusion in the station library, as well.

I spoke to Haale herself briefly after the show. I looked familiar to her, but she didn't really remember me, at least not at first. 17 years ago is half her lifetime ago, and nearly half mine. Would I have remembered her if she hadn't had such an unusual name? Hard to know. (I should have told her I was the guy who used to vogue; I was the only one, and I did kind of make a spectacle of myself. If you don't, you're not doing it right.) I did draw a picture of Haale maybe a year later. I had this idea of drawing the various people I'd met at Yale, accompanied by some commentary; I happened to start with her and never got around to drawing anyone else. I'll post that picture on this blog at some point.

The Playlist:
*: new stuff
artistsongalbumlabel
Sinéad O'ConnorTroyThe Lion and the CobraChrysalis
Eve's PlumIf I Can't Have YouSpirit of '73: Rock for Choice550 Music/Epic
*Amy WinehouseBack to BlackBack to BlackIsland
*The PonysPoser PsychoticTurn the Lights OutMatador
The Kitchens of DistinctionWhat Happens Now?The Death of CoolA&M
*Modest MouseFire It UpWe Were Dead Before the Ship Even SankEpic
OfficeIf You Don't Know By NowQ&Aself-released
reachoffice.net
Nouvelle VagueMelt with YouNouvelle VagueLuaka Bop
Blossom DearieI Won't DanceJazz Masters 51Verve
*Mavis StaplesI'll Be RestedWe'll Never Turn BackAnti-
Death from Above 1979Sexy ResultsYou're a Woman, I'm a MachineVice
Grace JonesPull Up to the BumperIsland LifeIsland
*Dntel featuring Arthur and YuThe DistanceDumb LuckSubPop
Laurie AndersonWhite LilyThe Ugly One with the JewelsWarner Brothers
Tom WaitsEggs and SausageNighthawks at the DinerAsylum
Troubled HubbleNancyMaking Beds in a Burning HouseLookout Records
*KlaxonsGolden SkansMyths of Near FutureDGC
HaaleNavayeeMorningDarya Records
haale.com
Dead Can DanceSong of the DispossessedSpirit Chaser4AD
*The Shaky HandsI'm AliveThe Shaky HandsHolocene
*Ted Leo and the PharmacistsThe Sons of CainLiving with the LivingTouch and Go
Quasar Wut-WutThankful Hank & the GuzzardTaro SoundGlorious Noise
FazziniDellSulphur, Glue the StarLocust
Lena HorneLove Me or Leave MeSome of the BestLaserlight
*FeistSealionThe ReminderInterscope
*The RosebudsNight of the FuriesNight of the FuriesMerge
The SmithsWilliam It Was Really NothingHatful of HollowSire

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 6:38 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged