tonybreed: a blog

Friday, February 01, 2008

Hear the cavemen singing - 2/1 show

This morning was a snowy one — the snow started yesterday in the afternoon and continued straight through my show, tapering off around noon. In the morning there were great piles of snow all over the place. I had shoveled my own walk last night at 6:30 and 10pm, and I did it again this morning at 5am; it will need to be done again.

So I thought I'd try to focus my show on playing songs that made people feel like getting up. You know, on a day like this you need an extra nudge. I invited listeners to all in with suggestions, and I got quite a lot of requests.

My first request was for "something by Tom Waits", and I chose one of my favorites, "Eggs and Sausage (in a Cadillac with Susan Michelson)" — it's technically a late-night song, but it works exceptionally well as a morning song (and I also got a call commending me on that choice, from a man who'd just spent half an hour digging his car out of the snow, and was getting in to drive to work).

The next request was for something that was recently in rotation here: Bonnie "Prince" Billy's mellow cover of "Am I Demon?" by Danzig. (The caller couldn't remember the song exactly, and I think he actually asked for a cover of Fugazi by Uncle Tupelo, but I'm pretty sure this is what he meant.) I haven't heard all of this Bonnie "Prince" Billy EP, but I liked this song the most.

Next I got a call for Sonic Youth... not a real wake-up-and-get-going song (like maybe "Kool Thing"), but rather the more experimental, spoken-word-over-instruental-drone "Tom Violence" from Evol. The story it tells is a bit disturbing, and it's not particularly melodic; I might not have chosen it myself for a day like today, though it's quite a good piece of music ultimately. It's sort of arresting.

Next request? Something completely different from the last: a band I'd not heard of called Death by Chocolate, which turns out to be very entertaining and silly spoken word over electronic melodies reminiscent of video games.

Rounding out the day's requests was the Groove Armada, requested by a listener who had just failed to win concert tickets from me. His voice was familiar; I think he may be a regular caller I have, from Brazil. This song also closed out my set.

Meanwhile, yesterday Julio gave me a couple of CDs he'd reviewed, and asked me to drop them off at the station. One of them didn't sound too appealing, but he convinced me to give it a listen on the way home. It surprised me completely: I loved it. Ungdomskulen comes out of Norway and plays very heavy, hard music. I'm not especially a fan of Metal, or even lots of guitar, and I expected something along those lines. And I think there is some Metal in this music, and certainly a lot of guitar; but there's also good bass and drum, and non-screaming vocals, and hooks, and musical complexities. There's a little bit of the Rapture's punk-disco, and a little of Frank Zappa's jazz-rock-guitar, and it's all happening at once. Relentless, but in a good way. So I played a song, and left the CD for the Music Department. They may chose to put it in rotation; I hope they do.

*: new stuff
(r): requests

artistsongalbumlabel
Echo & the BunnymenSeven SeasOcean RainSire/Rhino
Troubled HubbleNancyPenturbiaLatest Flame
*Dengue FeverSeeing HandsVenus on EarthM80
*WeenBlue BalloonLa CucarachaRounder
Os MutantesPanis et CircensesTropicália ou Panis et CircensesUniversal
SeldaYaylalarSeldaB-Music/Finders Keepers
*Bob MouldReturn to DustDistrict LineAnti-
*The Aluminum GroupPost ItLittle HappynessMinty Fresh
The SmithsThere is a Light That Never Goes OutSinglesReprise
(r)Tom WaitsEggs and Sausage (in a Cadillac with Susan Michelson)Nighthawks a the DinerAsylum
Lady SovereignAt Little Bit of ShhhPublis WarningIsland/Def Jam
The Wolfgang PressLouis XIVQueer4AD
(r)Bonnie "Prince" BillyAm I Demon?Ask ForgivenessDrag City
*Hello, Blue RosesScarecrowThe Portrait is Finished and I Have Failed to Capture Your BeautyLocust
Elliott SmithBaby BritainXODreamworks
The Shangri-LasGive Him a Great Big KissThe Myrmidons of MelodramaRPM
Martha and the MuffinsObedienceDanseparcOne Way
*YeasayerNo Need to WorryAll Hour SymbolsWe Are Free
(r)Sonic YouthTom ViolenceEvolSST Records
*UngdomskulenWitches Mate in the UndegroundCry-BabyEver
*Spiller WhaleDark Horse FlameFresh TablesUncle Grandpa Records
(r)Death by ChocolateThe Land of ChocolateDeath by ChocolateJetset
*Sam ShalabiEnd GameEidAlien8
*PedroHallelujahYou, Me & EveryoneMush
Wild Sweet OrangeI'm Coming Home
*Saint BernadetteI Own the CityIn the BallroomExotic
(r)Groove ArmadaPurple HazeLoveboxJive Electric

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 12:20 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged