tonybreed: a blog

Friday, January 25, 2008

Oh God of Progress, have you degraded or forgot us? - 1/25 show

It's no secret that one of my favorite artists is Sufjan Stevens, though I suppose I don't play him on the radio as much as I could. He got a name for himself by announcing plans to make an album for each state of the US, beginning with his home state of Michigan. So far, he's made two, and the second one was Come On Feel the Illinoise!. Greetings From Michigan: The Great Lake State was better, perhaps because it was more personal, but I do like Illinoise. The title track has an epic quality (it's written into two parts: "Part I: The World's Columbian Exposition" and "Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream"), but it's also fun and upbeat.

Incidentally, a year ago or so, one of the DJs at our station, Mary, got involved in a MasterCard "Priceless" YouTube campaign. She was asked to talk about Reckless Records, and in the course of her video (shot at odd, unflattering angles), she jokingly pronounced "Illinois" as "Illinoise", referring to Stevens' album. The YouTube comments were scathing and rude — people asserting that she probably wasn't a DJ (she is), and probably not even from Chicago if she couldn't pronounce "Illinois". While it is true that she didn't chose her subject, the vitriol in the comments was astounding to me. Honestly, who takes the time to leave a comment like "I hated your video so much I didn't watch it?" Rule of thumb: never read YouTube comments; they are almost uniformly asinine.

It's been cold and snowy in Chicago, and cold snowy days make me want to listen to Martha and the Muffins' This Is the Ice Age. It may be just that I got the album in the winter of my freshman year of college, and listened to it over and over again, so that it's indelibly associated with winter in my mind. In particular, though, it's the slick, icy title track (as opposed to the antic "You Sold the Cottage", which of course makes me think of summer).

Two new albums in recently, that I think bear a closer listen. Saint Bernadette's In the Ballroom is a bit jazzy, with gutsy vocal provided by Meredith DiMenna. (DiMenna is, as it happens, the vocalist behind Chunky Pam, though not the actress who protrays her; in any event Saint Bernadette is nothing like Chunky Pam.) Yeasayer's All Hour Symbols is dense, and complex, with a psych-rock edge.

*: new stuff
(r): requests

artistsongalbumlabel
Sufjan StevensCome on feel the Illinoise!Come on feel the Illinoise!Asthmatic Kitty
Lilly AllenLDNAlright StillEMI
ZerostarsSleeping InSelf-released
*Bob MouldShelter MeDistrict LineAnti-
*Kate Tucker & the Sons of SwedenSaturday NightKate Tucker & the Sons of SwedenRed Valise
Martha and the MuffinsThis Is the Ice AgeThis Is the Ice AgeEMI
Annie LennoxRiver Deep, Mountain HighWalking on Broken Glass Single
*Mise en AbymeFather Shore (Trilobites)The Second Marriage Records CompilationMarriage Records
*Saint BernadetteSidestepIn the BallroomExotic
Amy WinehouseBack to BlackBack to BlackIsland
Dan DeaconOkie DokieSpiderman of the RingsCarpark
*Food for AnimalsBulk GummiesBellyHoss
Laurie AndersonThe Day the DevilStrange AngelsWarner Brothers
Ted Leo and the PharmacistsShake the SheetsShake the SheetsLookout
FazziniDellSulphur, Glue the StarLocust
(r)The BooksEnjoy Your Worries, You May Never Have Them AgainThought for FoodTomlab
*Hello, Blue RosesComing through ImpostureThe Portrait Is Finished and I Have Failed to Capture Your Beauty...Locust
*The Hidden MittenMarry UpRoma! Roma! EPSelf-released
*The Mary OnettesStillThe Mary OnettesLabrador
The FutureheadsThe Hounds of LoveThe FutureheadsSire
Lene LovichNew ToyJust Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the 80's Vol. 3Rhino
*YeasayerSunriseAll Hour SymbolsWe Are Free
Josephine Foster and the SupposedJailbird (Hero of the Sorrow)All the Leaves are GoneLocust
Jean-Claude VannierMort du Roi des MoucheL'Enfant Assassin des MouchesB-Music/Finders Keepers
CalifonePink & SourRoots and CrownsThrill Jockey
*Dengue FeverMr. OrangeVenus on EarthM80
U2Night and DayRed Hot + BlueChrysalis

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 10:42 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged