tonybreed: a blog

Friday, January 11, 2008

From station to station - 1/11 show

I specifically had wanted to play the song "Icky Thump" by The White Stripes as my first song today, just so that I could use the line "you can't be a pimp and a prostitute too" as my blog entry title. However, that song was a big single from that album, and the review pasted on the case specifically said not to play it, so instead I played the very amusing song "Conquest" later in the show. "Conquest" adds a Mexican/​Southwestern flavor to the White Stripes usual spare hard rock sound. The horn part is produced by cheap synthesizers, which must have been on purpose; it gives the song an odd quality [actually, I just listened to the song again, and the horns are in fact real; sometimes they sound like cheap synthesizer, which is even odder]. The lyrics tell a story that is essentially sexist, but in an amusing way. A man treats a woman as "just another conquest" — a sort of sexual prey. Then, when he succeeds, he becomes the prey himself to her conquest for a husband (which she succeeds at). So it's a sort of even-handed sexism, and tongue-in-cheek. [Update: apparently it's a Patti Page cover. For true! Compare the original with the White Stripes version. Thank you, Gems and Purls.]

Muscles' album did not make it into my top 12 of 2007, but it's awfully fun anyway. It's dance music, but has a raucous, off-kilter quality, very much like what The Mighty Mighty Bosstones brought to Ska music. The lyrics are mostly stupid-fun. The refrain of "Ice Cream" features such lines as "Ice cream is going to save the world" and "I just want to dance with my shirt off". (That last line always makes me think I should be listening to this in the summer; well, the band is Australian, so I guess it's summer there. Right now I hardly want to do anything with my shirt off.)

Speaking of odd and fun lyrics, today I played one of my favorite Throwing Muses songs, "Fish", from the 4AD comp Lonely is an Eyesore (the title of which is in fact a line from "Fish": "Lonely is as lonely does / Lonely is an eyesore / The feeling describes itself". The lyrics are poetic and odd; you understand them on a visceral level without them actually making much sense. "I have a fish nailed to a cross on my apartment wall / it sings to me with glassy eyes and quotes from Kafka"; "I have a man who follows my hips with his hands"; "The girl behind the counter sees a fin". Apparently, Hersh had (has?) a form of epilepsy in which the seizures come in the form of music, which explains the hallucinatory quality of her lyrics. (I had some trouble finding good confirmation of this online, but I recall reading it in an article years ago.) In any event, the success of this song is not just a matter of the lyrics, but also the excellent drumming that propels the song forward, plus the singing, the spare bassline, and the rhythmic guitar.

In general I think today's was a good show. I tried to rock a little harder than usual. I got three requests, which is a little more than usual. I don't know what it is that causes people to request more music. Is it my remembering to reel off the number at each break? Is it something in the weather that makes people more introspective and attentive to their radios? Is it something in the music that makes people want to participate?

Do you call into radio stations with requests? When and why?

Today's playlist:

*: new stuff
(r): requests

artistsongalbumlabel
KraftwerkTrans-Europe ExpressTrans-Europe ExpressCapitol
Saint EtienneMario's CafeTravel Edition 1990-2005Sub Pop
*CexCocceesvilleExotical PrivatesAutomation
*Richard YoungsNo EdgeAutumn ResponseJagjaguwar
Kate BushNever Be MineThe Sensual WorldColumbia
Josephine Foster and the SupposedWho Will Feel Bitter at the Day's EndAll the Leaves Are GoneLocust
Deee-LiteTry Me On, I'm Very YouWorld CliqueElektra
*White WilliamsIn the ClubSmokeTigerbeat6
*Joe LallyTonight at 10Nothing is UnderratedDischord
The DialsDead BeatSick TimesSelf-released
The SmithsStill IllThe SmithsSire
The White StripesConquestIcky ThumpWarner Brothers
Ex-Ray SpexOh Bondage, Up Yours!Germ-Free AdolescentsCaroline
*Wiley50/50Well Deep: Ten Years of Big Dada RecordingsBig Dada
Dizzee RascalShowtimeShowtimeXL
Patti SmithHigh on RebellionEasterArista
The Throwing MusesFishLonely Is an Eyesore4AD
(r)Man ManWhite Rice, Brown HeartMan ManAce Fu
Fiery FurnacesTropical IcelandEPRough Trade
*Cass McCombsLionkillerDropping the WritDomino
MusclesIce CreamGuns Babes LemonadeModular
CanastaMicrophone SongWe Were Set UpBroken Middle C
Gruppo Romm Dracula'sJamparaGruppo Romm Dracula'sRomm
(r)Gogol BordelloHarem in Tuscany (Taranta)Super Taranta!Side One Dummy
*The DragonsCosmosisBFINinja Tune
Sean LennonPhotosynthesisInto the SunGrand Royal
*Iron & Wine & CalexicoDark EyesI'm Not There OSTSony/Columbia
(r)Dan DeaconThe Crystal CatSpiderman of the RingsCarpark
*WireOur TimeRead & Burn 03Pink Flag

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 1:48 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger gems and purls said...

Conquest is a cover. I think you'd get a kick out of the original... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dekiuwZhRIU

1/14/2008 12:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged