tonybreed: a blog

Friday, January 18, 2008

E Glassala Tuffm I Zimbra! - 1/18 show

The lyrics to "I Zimbra" by Talking Heads are nonsense words — or more accurately, they are meaningless words taken from a dadaist phonetic poem (Gadji Beri Bimba). And if you buy the record, you'll find the full lyrics to this song printed there on the sleeve with the other lyrics. The song, meanwhile, is a great dance song, with energetic African beats.

New in the studio this week was Dengue Fever's new album Venus on Earth, which I reviewed for the station. Dengue Fever is doing something no one else in the U.S. is doing, as far as I know: Khmer-language surf-rock. It's common in Cambodia, which was introduced to surf-rock by American G.I.s during the Vietnam war. In any event, foreign-language rock is just my kind of thing, as a linguist-and-music geek. Unusually, though, my favorite song on the album is "Sober Driver", a duet sung in English. The song has a slow, smokey groove, and the lyrics are in the form of a conversation. The verses are sung by the Cambodian lead singer, Chhom; she (as the character in the song of course) is drunk, out late at a party somewhere, and trying to get a ride home from the man she's called. His lines (sung by Zac, guitarist and one of the two American brothers who founded the band) are the refrain, as he complains about being used by her for free rides. Chhom does an excellent job of portraying the girl who flirts and coos to get what she needs from people; she seems helpless (she doesn't know where she is or how she got there), but you get the feeling she's not really all that helpless. Zac, meanwhile, sings his lines almost like a mantra, to remind himself of why he should not give her a ride; he wants to pick her up, but he doesn't want to be used. The song doesn't really resolve the story, leaving you wondering what happens next.

Eric asked me to play "Small Town Boy" by Bronski Beat for him. I didn't think the studio had a copy, so I looked for my own last night and found a 12" remix that I acquired from somewhere. This version is 9 minutes long, and begins much more spare and melancholy than the regular radio cut. The song is very much a product of the late 80's environment for gay rights. The small town boy of the song leaves his small town home to search for love and acceptance in the big city (a story which certainly still plays out even today). The lyrics are really very melancholy: "You leave in the morning with everything you own in a little black case"; "You never cried to them just to your soul" — but the melancholy is counterbalanced by the upbeat dance music underneath. This speaks to the trope of the era, in which a young gay boy comes to the city and finds what he's looking for at the gay dance clubs: the music frees him. So this 9-minute version changes the song a little, by starting with real melancholy, and then coming back again at the faster tempo. Eric and I have decided we prefer the radio edit.

Speaking of melancholy, today I finally got around to playing a song I find very sad: "Soldier's Things", as covered by Holly Cole. I haven't yet heard the original Tom Waits version; some of Cole's Waits covers are very true to the originals, while others are real reinterpretations. I suspect this one is close to the original, because I can't imaging singing this any other way than Cole's slow ballad. Lyrically, it sounds like a song from a musical; it wouldn't be out of place in Les Miserables. (Interestingly, Waits' version appeared recently on the soundtrack to the movie Jarhead.) It's the last lines of the song that get me every time: "Oh and this one is for bravery |And this one is for me | And everything's a dollar | In this box".

Is it the saddest song I played today? You be the judge. There are some others there that give it a run for the money. And it wasn't all sadness today, of course: "Manteca" and "Danger! High Voltage" are nothing but fun.

The playlist:
*: new stuff
(r): requests
artistsongalbumlabel
Talking HeadsI ZimbraOnce in a Lifetime (Box set)
Dizzy GillespieManteca (The Funky Lowlives Remix)Verve Remixed²Verve
*Vampire HandsOpium TyphoonVirgin Dust American LipsFreedom-form
*Bonnie Prince BillyI Came to Hear the MusicAsk Forgivemess EPDrag City
PajoOh No NoPajoDrag City
Holly ColeSoldier's ThingsTemptationAlert
*Dengue FeverSober DriverVenus on EarthM80
Bronski BeatSmalltown Box12" RemixMCA Records
(r)The Electric SixDanger! High VoltageFireXL
Malcolm MiddletonWe're All Going to DieA Brighter BeatFull Time Hobby
Ben FoldsIn Between DaysSupersunnyspeedgraphic: the LPAttacked by Plastic/Epic
The Fiery FurnacesEgyptian GrammarWidow CityThrill Jockey
*Mira BilotteAs I Went Out One MorningI'm Not There OSTColumbia/Sony
Johnny CashGive My Love to RoseLive from Folsom PrisonColumbia
Woody GuthrieBlack Jack DavieWorried Man BluesSpecial Music
Amália RodriguesNão Quero AmarLisboa a NoitePlanet Records
*Cass McCombsPregnant PauseDropping the WritDomino
*The Aluminum GroupHeadphonesLittle HappynessMinty Fresh
The Other TwoSelfishThe Other Two and YouQwest/Reprise
CanastaBusrideWe Were Set UpBroken Middle C
*Karl BlauIf I Died on YouThe Second Marriage Records CompilationMarriage
The TouristsCircle FeverReality EffectEpic
Patti SmithDancing BarefootLand (1975-2002)Arista
*The VandellesSwell to HEavenThe VandellesSafranin Sound
*Nicole Mitchell's Black Earth EnsembleCause and EffectBlack UnstoppableDelmark
Kronos QuartetEl LlorarNuevoNonesuch

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 1:56 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged