tonybreed: a blog

Friday, November 09, 2007

I thought there was a virtue in always being cool - 11/9 show

Jamie Lidell caught my ear with the loose and easy "In a Minor Key" version of his soul tune "Multiply", from his album Multiply Additions (an album of redone versions of songs from his album Multiply. I saw him at Pitchfork this year, and while he did play "Multiply", I discovered him to be a broader, more interesting artist than the oe song might imply. In concert he does a lot of free-form scat on top of oversample grooves (which he samples on the fly, up on stage). The song I played today is one that turned up on my iPod Shuffle (which picks a random selection of MP3s out of my collection). I didn't recognize him, and I had to look on the computer later to figure out who it was. This song is a bit wild, with rough, shouting lyrics; I haven't heard the original, but this Four Tet mix is an electronic dance groove with odd chirping bits. The whole effect is highly reminiscent of Nine Inch Nails, and couldn't be more different from "Multiply (In a Minor Key)".

More on Jens Lekman another day... but he really has a voice that makes you want to be friends with him. It's a little different from Kimya Dawson, whose voice makes you feel like you are already friends with her. Lots of people have voices that are fun to listen to, or highly emotive, or what have you, but it unusual for a voice to feel so personal.

A couple of years ago I went to see a sort of reunion show of the Ocean Blue at Schuba's. There opening band was a quartet from the Twin Cities call the Owls. They traded off vocal duties, and were very earnest and cute. They were also slightly off-key; maybe it was a bad night for them. Still, I thought the songwriting was strong, and I kept them in mind, in particular one song called "Peppermint Patty". In the intervening time, the Owls have been regrouping and learning the art of production. They took a good couple of years to put together their new album, Daughters and Suns. I reviewed it for the station last week, and found them much improved, but still charming. The album is well-produced, but not overproduced (and not off-key, either, for what it's worth). And, it contains the song "Peppermint Patty", which is as good as I remember it.

I got pretty into the the JudyBats in the nineties, and bought all of their albums. I went to one show at the Metro... a last minute idea to go on my own, back when we lived on Clarendon and the Metro was a short walk away. (Actually, it's probably just as far away now.) The band was never very popular, but they had their fans, and the concert was pretty full. Fast forward to about three years ago: the JudyBats were broken up, and the last album (around 2000) had seen the band reformulated without the lead guitarist. My friend Lynn informs me that they will be playing the Halsted Street Market Days. Have they reunited? No, not really — the somebody in the Market Days organization knows them and invited them up, and they are reuniting specially for this concert. The lead singer/songwriter and the lead guitarist are back together, albeit with a new backing band. The concert stage is set up in the 7/11 parking lot; we get their early and are near the front. There are not that many people, but those who are there and really hard core fans. I know all the lyrics to all the songs they play, and so does everyone around me. They play every single song I'd hoped to hear, including the quirky "Convalescing in Spain". It was a very good concert, and I felt lucky to be there; it was all the more special knowing this was it — there was no tour, no future plans, and no other concerts, not even in their hometown in Tennessee.

Later on I got into a yelling fight with someone at the Duncan Sheik concert that followed, which kind of marred the day. Those of you who know me will understand how unusual it is for me to get into an altercation with a stranger, or really, anyone.

*: new stuff
(r): requests

artistsongalbumlabel
The Flaming LipsFight TestYoshimi Battles the Pink RobotsWarner Brothers
Jamie LidellThe City (Fout Tet Mix)Multiply AdditionsWARP
Meryn CadellJanet ClarkBombazineSire/Reprise
*Let's Get Out of this Terrible Sandwich ShopLarlieListeningRoydale
*Miss Alex White & the Red OrchestraI Dig HistorySpace & TimeIn the Red
Ted Leo and the PharmacistsParallel or Together?The Tyranny of DistanceLookout!
The EternalsSilhouetteHigh Anxiety EPAesthetics
OneidaBusy Little BeeHappy New YearJagjaguwar/Brah
*Jens LekmanSipping on the Sweet NectarNight Falls over KortedalaSecretly Canadian
Les Negresses VertesI Love ParisRed Hot + BlueChrysalis
Stevie WonderGolden LadyInnervisionsMotown
*The OwlsPeppermint PattyDaughters and SunsMagic Marker
*The Fiery FurnacesCabaret of the Seven DevilsWidow CityThrill Jockey
Laurie AndersonExample #22Big ScienceWarner Brothers
Rufus WainwrightGreek SongPosesDreamworks
Violent FemmesGone Daddy GoneViolent FemmesSlash
Elliott SmithSweet AdelineXODreamworks
This Mortal CoilHelp Me Lift You UpBlood4AD
The Velvet Underground and NicoI'll Be Your MirrorThe Velvet Underground and NicoPolygram
*BeirutForks & Knives {La FĂȘte}The Flying Club CupBa Da Bing!
*Extra GoldenBrothers Gone AwayHera Ma NonaThrill Jockey
The RaptureThe DevilPieces of the People We LoveUniversal
Deee-LiteDeep EndingWorld CliqueElektra
*SiouxsieAbout the HappenMantarayDecca
*Rogue WaveLake MichiganAsleep at Heaven's GateBrushfire
WilcoJesus, Etc.Yankee Hotel FoxtrotNonesuch
*The Scotland Yard Gospel ChoirI Never Thought I Could Feel This Way for a BoyThe Scotland Yard Gospel ChoirBloodshot
Dax RiggsRadiation Blues
Sleeper CarEugene's LamentShy MeSelf-release
The JudyBatsScarlettPain Makes You BeautifulSire

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 11:32 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged