tonybreed: a blog

Friday, September 07, 2007

Wondering if I've got a soul - 9/7 Show

So I finally asked the name of my regular caller, whose voice I always recognize: Pete. Hi Pete! Pete apparently has a younger brother my age. "My little brother is named Tony... well I call him my little brother, actually he's 36." Thanks Pete! I didn't mention that I too was 36. I was struck by the urge to say "Hey, I'm 36, maybe we know each other," as if having the same name and being the same age would somehow make us likely to cross paths.

Instead, I took a request for Imogen Heap. Interestingly, the reason we have Imogen Heap in the library is because sometime last year Mary Nisi brought it in an played it during her show, and Pete heard it, and then requested it during my show. Since it wasn't in the library, and Mary had played it (and I figured it was probably therefore good), I put it on our CD request list. When the station then bought a copy, I volunteered to review it, since it was sort of my idea to get it. So something about Pete requesting it and me playing it today brings the whole thing full circle nicely.

So to me, this is kind of the point about community radio — we really do respond to our listeners. During the last pledge drive, I went on the air with Mary during her show to pitch, and I told the Pete-Imogen Heap story. Mary said that she had played Imogen Heap because she'd heard it on The O.C. or Grey's Anatomy or something like that. Actually, this changes the story for me a little bit... I don't know, it just feels different. Anyway, now when you hear about what a big deal it is for artists to get their songs on TV, well there you have it. From TV to Mary to Pete to me to WLUW's library and our full listenership.

Pete requested Imogen Heap because he thought it would go with my set of chanteuses, as he put it, which I am apparently known for. (It's an area where I feel my show intersects with Claire's Monday night show, though I do like my dance music, too.)

Tom Waits is, of course, not a chanteuse, but you might call him a chanteur. I played the title track from Rain Dogs, an album my sister gave me while I was in high school. (She got quite into him in college.) Rain Dogs is a nice balance between his earlier, croonier music, and his later, more rough-edged work. The lyrics are colorful, and though they don't exactly tell stories, they seem to allude to them, and in this way, the album feels pleasantly like a soundtrack to a musical.

Lena Horne is a fabulous chanteuse with a gorgeous voice. I don't know her work as well as some of the other jazz vocalists I play, and though the songs on this album are old standards, I'm only really well acquainted with a couple. So playing songs from Some of the Best is always an adventure and a pleasant surprise.

Camille is a French artist recommended to be by Graziella. Her music features lots of oversampled vocals and complex rhythms, and is noticeably influenced by Afropop. If you like Zap! Mama, you'll like Camille. "Baby Carni Bird" is about half in English, the only English on the album I think. I tend to avoid English songs on foreign albums, because of my fondness for foreign languages, but "Baby Carni Bird" is really quite a nice song, showing heavy American Soul music influences.

The album from Mirah and Spectratone International is new in the studio, and I'm still in the process of discovering it. So far, it's good stuff. Many of the song titles refer to insects directly ("Love Song of the Fly") or obliquely ("Credo Cigalia" — not sure of the meaning, but "cigale" is French for "cicada", and the song refers to noise-making insects). "My Prize" seems to be told from the point of view of a dung beetle. It is musically lovely, though: a waltz somewhat reminiscent of old sea shanties.

And finally Imogen Heap, by request. "Have You Got It In You" was a nice choice; it's not one of the songs that stands out the most, which I think makes for a better set of music. The album Speak for Yourself is perhaps a bit too tightly-produced; I thought the Pitchfork Review summed it up well with the line "Heap actually mortgaged her London flat to finance the making of this record, and the go-for-broke attitude is evident. This record is produced within an inch of its life...." While the album as a whole can be a bit much, it's good mixed into other things, and so perfect for radio. (This problem can work the other way around, too — last year's There's Nothing I'd Like More Than to See You Dead by the Husbands is perhaps a bit too rough for a whole album, but mixes in well with other music.)

The full playlist:

* = new stuff / (r) = requests
artistsongalbumlabel
Ted Leo and the PharmacistsCounting Down the HoursShake the SheetsLocust
Frank ZappaI'm the SlimeZappa Picks: Jon Fishman of PhishRyko
*Aesop RockCatacomb KidsNone Shall PassDefinitive Jux
(r) Bloc-PartyShe's Hearing VoicesSilent AlarmVice
The Electric PrunesI Had Too Much to Dream Last Night
Har Mar SuperstarBody RequestThe HandlerRecord Collection
*You Say Party! We Say Die!MoonLose All TimePaper Bag
*Patrick CleandeminUntil You Say I'm GoneBaby Come HomeBa Da Bing
The Andrews SistersDon't Sit Under the Apple TreeThe Andrews Sisters Greatest HitsCURB Records
Mavis Staples99 1/2We'll Never Turn BackAnti-
*Imperial TeenRoom with a ViewThe Hair the TV the Baby and the BandMerge
The Brown PartyThe Plus Four Equals FunThe Brown PartySelf-released
(thebrownparty.com)
Ben Folds FiveKateWhatever and Even AmenEpic
*Architecture in HelsinkiDebbiePlaces Like ThisPolyvinyl
FeistI Feel It AllThe ReminderInterscope
Tom WaitsRaindogsRaindogsIsland
Lena HorneMy Blue HeavenSome of the BestStanyan
CamilleBaby Carni BirdLe FilEMI
*Mirah and Spectratone InternationalMy PrizeShare this Placek Records
(r)Imogen HeapHave You Got It in You?Speak for YourselfRCA Victor
*M.I.A.BoyzKalaInterscope
Psalm One with DJDQ of GlueBeat the DrumThe Death of Frequent FlyerRhymesayers
Deee-LiteWhat Is Love?World CliqueElektra
*JusticeNewjackEd Banger/Vice
My or May NotBest You CanColors Only Bees Can SeeTwo Thumbs Down
B-52'sDirty Back RoadWild PlanetWB
HaaleHome AgainParatrooperDarya
*Augie MarchThere Is No Such PlaceMoo, You Bloody ChoirJive
*The RentalsLittle Bit of You in EverythingLast Little Life EPBoompa
(r)Throwing MusesJunoHouse TornadoSire
The Shangri-La'sSophisticated Boom BoomThe Myrmidons of MelodramaRPM

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 7:25 AM

1 Comments:

Blogger gems and purls said...

I know someone in a band, and I've been to several of their shows. At one show, the crowd seemed a bit younger, and I was behind two guys who kept saying to each other, "Dirty on Purpose! Dirty on MotherF***in' Purpose!" with evident glee. I related this to the band member I know afterwards, and he said "That's what being played on one of MTV's soap operas does for you."

9/09/2007 3:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged