tonybreed: a blog

Friday, August 24, 2007

From his eye spring fireflies: 8/24 show

Among the songs on todays show was a three-song tribute set to Ernie:

First came "The Gal from Joe's" by Nina Simone, an old recording that I have always interpreted to be about death: "She's leaving, and folks are feeling so low | They're grieving, and they're consoling poor Joe [...] She's traveling down that long last road" (lyrics from memory; may be a little wrong). It has a perky sound, yet it's still moving.

The second song was "Requiescat", by Duncan Sheik, a more recent song that takes an opposite approach to the theme: the lyrics tell their story much less clearly, and more obliquely, and yet the theme is more clearly stated ("requiescat" meaning "may (s)he rest"; neither song directly mentions death). Duncan Sheik's song is soft and sad, but a good deal less heartrending than the Oscar Wilde poem of the same name.

I wrapped up with Holly Cole's version of "I Can See Clearly Now", which is not about death at all. It's a nice, hopeful song, and a good way to raise people out of the funk of the previous two songs. More importantly, I bought the album this is from, Don't Smoke in Bed, in the fall of 1990, just a few months before we got Ernie — I wanted a song to remind me of that year.

I got a call during the set from a listener calling to express his sympathy, and then to tell me how when his cats died (three, all at about the same time), they had them taxidermied. I was trying to think of a polite way to say I wouldn't be doing that, not least because Ernie was already cremated, but I didn't have to — I couldn't get a word in edgewise. So it was an odd call, but I appreciated it, or at least the spirit in which it was made.

I got a lot of calls this show; I don't know why there are more some days than others. One was an enthusiastic "Tony! Where have you been?" (Because I've been alternating weeks this summer.) It was a caller whose voice I know, and I wanted to ask him his name, but I had to get off the phone and id my songs, so I didn't. He requested Jens Lekman, an artist I like but don't know well, so I was happy to play the request.

Another called asked for something pretty obscure: David Bowie's "Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola," which is an Italian version of "A Space Oddity." I know in high school my sister had a copy of this on vinyl, on the aptly-named compilation Rare; it's probably still in Providence, unless I've got it here. In any event, we didn't have it in the studio, so I played another selection by Bowie.

Finally, I got a request to break a rule: play an artist that I had already played. And normally I really wouldn't have done it, but the guy was sick in bed, and it was They Might Be Giants, who I'd played at about 6:15am, when a lot of people were still asleep. Sure, it was only about an hour and a half earlier, but still I relented. Apparently I'm a sucker. It did help that the song he requested was short — about 10 seconds. The album Apollo 18 has about 20 short, short tracks near the end, ranging from 5 to 30 seconds long; I played about 10 in succession, and it was probably just over a minute total. Which was fun.

*: new stuff
(r): requests
ArtistSongAlbumLabel
Siouxsie and the BansheesThe Killing JarThe Best of Siouxsie and the BansheesPolydor UK
Sponsors In and Out of LoveYellow Pills: PrefillThe Numero Group
*DatarockFa-Fa-FaDatarock DatarockNettwerk
*They Might Be GiantsThe MesopotamiansThe ElseIdlewild
Laurie AndersonPoisonTalk Normal: AnthologyRhino
The M'sPlan of the ManFuture WomenPolyvinyl
*Dirty ProjectorsGimme Gimme GimmeRise AboveDead Oceans
The Magnetic FieldsKiss Me Like You Mean It69 Love Songs Vol. 2Merge
ZerostarsFearlessThe Good Can't EscapeSelf-released (www.zerostars.com)
*Billy HarveyKaleidoscope GunBearsickGold Recordings
*JusticeD.A.N.C.E.Ed Banger/Vice
My Life with the Thrill Kill KultDo You Wanna Get Funky with MeGay, Black, and MarriedRyko
The Go! TeamBottle RocketThunder Lightning StrikeMemphis Industries
Ghislain PoirierBreakupdownMic Diplomat feat DJ CollageChocolate Industries
XTCBallet for a Rainy DaySkylarkingGeffen
Leonard CohenSo Long, MarianneThe Best of Leonard CohenCBS
Edith FrostIt's a GameIt's a GameDrag City
*Ulrich SchnaussShineGoodbyeDomino
*DJ 2Tall Presents Dudley Perkins and Georgia Anne MuldrowA TallBeautiful MindzEclectic Breaks/Amalgam Digital
(r)Jens LekmanPocketful of MoneyOh You're So Silent JensSecretly Canadian
The SpecialsGhost Town (12" version)The Singles Collection
*FrisbieI Speak Your MindNew DebutAppendix
(r)David BowieSons of the Silent AgeHeroesVirgin
*CaribouMelody DayAndorraDomino
KonradCanyon BlueFirst Disguised as LastRadical Turf
*Coltrane MotionTwenty-SevenSongs about MusicData Was Lost
(r)They Might Be GiantsFingertips + various unnamed short tracksApollo 18Elektra
Camper Van BeethovenTake the Skinheads BowlingReissue SamplerspinART
X-Ray SpexOh Bondage Up YoursGerm-Free AdolescentsCaroline
The NoisettesDon't Give UpWhat's the Time Mr. WolfUniversal/Motown
*The Gore Gore GirlsFox in a BoxGet the GoreBloodshot
Nina SimoneThe Gal from Joe'sMy Baby Just Cares for MeDuchesse
Duncan SheikRequiescatPhantom MoonNonesuch
Holly Cole TrioI Can See Clearly NowDon't Smoke in BedManhattan
Rufus WainwrightSanssouciRelease the StarsGeffen
Kaspar HauserGlass Case Full of Dead, Stuffed BirdsQuixotic/TaxidermyBackwardmasking
*Patrick CleandeminDays without RainBaby Comes HomeBa Da Bing
*OfficeSuburban PerfumeA Night at the RitzScratchie/Newline
*Against Me!New WaveNew WaveSire
Dick Brave and the BackbeatsWalk This WayDick This CD
Stereo TotalTa Voix au TéléphoneParis-BerlinKill Rock Stars
Las Malas AmistadesHay Zombies en la PlayaJardín InteriorPsych-O-Path
MorrisseyThe Last of the International PlayboysWorld of MorrisseyEMI

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 2:39 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged