tonybreed: a blog

Friday, August 10, 2007

We'll laugh at that old bloodshot moon: 8/10 show

I recorded this week's show, as I often do as a way of monitoring myself. How am I doing? Do I talk too much? Do I mumble? Anyway, after the show I drove up to northern Michigan, and listened to the tape on the way. Beyond being a good way to self-monitor, it's a nice way to revisit the songs I've played, especially the newer stuff.

I took a moment to really listen to the lyrics of "Train from Kansas City", Neko Case's cover of the Shangri-La's. I've heard the song many times, and just enjoyed the quality of Case's vocals, and the tune itself. But if you really listen to the story behind it, it's sort of moving in that way that pop from the 60's can be. She sings to the man she loves, telling him that she's gotten a letter from a man she used to know, who's in love with her and coming in on the train from Kansas City, and she has to go to the station to break his heart. Mary Weiss of the Shangri-La's, who was a teenager at the time, had a unique way of conveying emotion while sounding intimate and personal. Neko Case's gutsy vocals cover some of the same range; she's a worthy successor, and I think her version may even be better.

And a side note... after listening to a number of songs by the Shangri-La's, I think it's a shame that they are best known for "The Leader of the Pack." Of course, I like the song — who doesn't — but it comes off as a novelty song, not something serious, and so the group comes off as a novelty group. What about something like "Out in the Streets"? A heartfelt story of teen angst in the rough parts of town.

And speaking of novelty songs, we've got new They Might Be Giants in the studio. I admit I played the same song that's gotten the most play at the station, "Take Out the Trash," but it's a real standout track. It rocks with a 50's flair, and has clever lyrics about ending a relationship. It's not a quirky "Birdhouse in Your Soul" or "Particle Man"; it's more like "Don't Let's Start" (a song which is now about 20 years old; how about that?).

*: new stuff
(r): requests

ArtistSongAlbumLabel
Tom WaitsNew Coat of PaintThe Heart of Saturday NightAsylum
Bebel GilbertoBring Back the Love (Bombay Dub Orchestra Remix)Bring Back the Love RemixesSix Degrees
*Balkan Beat Box$20 for BobanNu-MedJDUB
*Mark Ronson feat. KennaAmyVersionRCA
Lady Sovereign9 to 5Public WarningIsland/Def Jam
*ChromeoOpening Up (Ce Soir On Danse)Fancy FootworkVice
Michael NymanProspero's CurseProspero's Books SoundtrackLondon
Nina SimoneNe Me Quitte PasThe Best of Nina SimonePhilips
*Billy HarveyI May I MayBearsickGold Records
Neko CaseTrain from Kansas CityThe Tigers Have SpokenAnti-
Andrew BirdScythian EmpiresArmchair ApocryphaFat Possum
*Patrick CleandeminHollywoodBaby Come HomeBa Da Bing
HaaleMorgue SaharMorningDarya
The Velvet Underground and NicoRun Run RunThe Velvet Underground and NicoPolydor
The B-52'sGive Me Back My ManWild PlanetWarner Brothers
*Bonde do RoleDança do ZumbiWith LasersDomino/Mad Decent
*Of MontrealDu Og MegSuffer for FashionPolyvinyl
Mucca PazzaHabibiA Little Marching BandSelf-released
Gal CostaHabibNew World PartyPutomayo
*The White Stripes300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour BluesIcky ThumpWarner Brothers
*Copperpot feat/ Prince PoWYLA?WYLA?EV Productions
The Wolfgang PressMama Told Me Not to ComeEverything is Beautiful4AD
Fear of PopI Paid My MoneyFear of Pop550 Music/Epic
CanastaMicrophone SongWe Were Set UpBroken Middle C
DivineWalk Like a ManNative LoveDisco Classics
*YACHTSee a Penny (Pick It Up)PDX Pop Now! 2007Self-released
The Saints(I'm) Stranded(I'm) Stranded /
LuxuryGreen HeartsYellow Pills PrefillNumero Group
(r)The StoogesSearch and DestroyRaw PowerColumbia/Legacy
*Thge Might Be GiantsTake Out the TrashThe ElseIdlewild
Marilyn MonroeHeatwaveDivas ExoticaCapitol
Deee-LiteParty Happening PeopleDewdrops in the GardenElektra
*JusticeOne Minute to MidnightEd Banger/Vice
*Tack, the Boy DisasterParisOh, BeatriceSelf-released
The Smoking PopesZing! Went the Strings of My HeartThe Party's OverDouble Zero
*Keren AnnLay Your Head DownKeren AnnBlue Note
*The Budos BandAdenijiThe Budos Band IIDaptone
OK GoA Good Idea at the TimeOh NoCapitol
The NoisettesThe Bridge to CanadaWhat's the Time Mr. Wolf?Universal/Motown
Paul WellerDown in the Tube StationHit ParadeYep Roc
Las Malas AmistadesNecesidad (Electro Mix)Jardin InteriorPsych-O-Path

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 11:06 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged