tonybreed: a blog

Friday, September 14, 2007

Scream and Shout - 9/13 Show

Probably my favorite New Order song is the one that opened today's show, "All Day Long." It's got a symphonic quality to the synthesizers and a rhythm that feels as though it's constantly moving forward. The whole effect is dense, enveloping, and slightly sad.

Today was my interview with Haale (who's playing Saturday night at the Kinetic Playground). It was my first ever live interview, and it went pretty well, I thought. Mike from work heard it and said I sounded like an old hand. Unfortunately, the tape recorder was disconnected and I didn't get a recording of it. A short interview is a funny thing, because there isn't really time to learn anything new. It was news to my listeners, I'm sure, which is enough. Anyway, maybe I'll do more live interviews... anyone want to be interviewed?

Whenever I play the Family Fodder, I invariably play "Deep Time", because I love the song so much. It's a good move-your-but dance toon — but there are other good songs on the album I should probably play. I bought the album because I liked the song "Naked" so much (another dance tune, which ends with a non-dancey couple of minutes of wailing bagpipes that evoke windswept moors. (So maybe I'd want to fade out partway into that; I enjoy it, but I do think it's about a minute or so too much.) The Family Fodder is a sort of post-punk collective from the early 80's, who came back together in 1999/2000 to release Water Shed. I discovered them when I used to listed to Yale's AM station on the internet; they always played Family Fodder's cover of "Sunday Girl", but it took me a while to figure out who they were. (Yale's AM station, at least at the time, was often playing off a tape, with a recorded DJ's voice coming in and announcing the songs periodically, but so quietly and quickly that I could hardly ever understand it. Still, it introduced me to some great stuff.)

The full playlist:

* = new stuff / (r) = requests
artistsongalbumlabel
Ted Leo and the PharmacistsCounting Down the HoursShake the SheetsLocust
New OrderAll Day LongSelections from RetroWarner Brothers
Family FodderDeep TimeWater ShedDark Beloved Chord
Laurie AndersonBaby Doll Talk Normal: The Laurie Anderson AnthologyWarner Bros
*Aesop RockFive FingersNone Shall PassDefinitive Jux
*Bat for LashesPrescillaFur and GoldEcho
Charlotte GainsbougTel Que Tu Es5:55Because Music/Vice
*Mirah and Spectratone InternationalMy Lord Who HumsShare the Placek Records
Elvis CostelloMy Funny ValentineArmed ForcesRyko
Cocteau TwinsHeaven or Las VegasStars and Topsoil: 1981-19904AD
The Aluminum GroupChocolatesPlanoMinty Fresh
*Thurston MooreNever DayTrees outside the AcademyEcstatic Peace
*Imperial TeenEveryone Wants to KnowThe Hair, the TV, the Baby and the BandMerge
ZerostarsLike Lovers DoThe Good Can't EscapeSelf-released
Romeo VoidTalk Dirty to MeWarm, in Your CoatColumbia/Legacy
The DecemberistsAngel, Won't You Call Me5 SongsHush Records
Tom WaitsPlease Call Me, BabyThe Heart of Saturday NightAsylum
The HousemartinsThe People Who Grinned Themselves to DeathThe People Who Grinned Themselves to DeathElektra
*Stereo TotalMiss Rébellion des HormonesParis-BerlinKill Rock Stars
*The Yeah Yeah YeahsKiss KissIs Is EPInterscope
The Fiery FurnacesI'm in No MoodBitter TeaFat Possum
P:anoAll of November, Most of OctoberWhen It's Dark and It's SummerZum/Hi-Five Recordings
*PlaneBlood on the WavesLose All TimePaper Bag
*You Say Party! We Say Die!MonsterLose All TimePaper Bag
AtombombpocketknifeLeave TonightLack Aid PatternFile 13
Yasuyuki OkamuraBurning Down the HouseFine Time~A Tribute to New Wave
HaaleFloating DownParatrooperDarya Records
Interview with Haale
HaaleNavayeeMorningDarya Records

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 11:15 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged