tonybreed: a blog

Friday, July 27, 2007

What a bad picture!: 7/27 show

(Sorry for the delay in posting this playlist.)

This week, when I played the Polyphonic Spree, I accidentally played the same song as I played the last time I was on the air — when I subbed for Mary a week and a half ago. But I tell you, "Light to Follow" is an awesome song. I like this song in the way I liked songs in high school: deeply and thoroughly. It seems to speak to me on some level. I honestly didn't pay that much attention to the Polyphonic Spree before (though I'm fond of their cover of Nirvana's "Lithium"), but I really like this album — all of it.

Which brings me to my thoughts about my top 10 of the year, which is still 5 months away. But here are the albums that are currently in the running, alphabetically by artist:

Lily AllenAlright, Still
Battles Mirrored
Bobby ConnKing for a Day
The EarliesThe Enemy Chorus
Gogol BordelloSuper Taranta!
HaaleMorning and Paratrooper
(Two simultaneously-released EPs I'm counting as on album)
The NoisettesWhat's the Time Mr Wolf?
The Polyphonic SpreeThe Fragile Army
Rufus WainwrightRelease the Stars
Patrick WolfThe Magic Position

Some of these won't make it to the final list, but they will probably all at least be Honorable Mentions.

Please take a moment to sign the petition to support low-power FM in urban areas.

This week's playlist:

*: new stuff
(r): requests

ArtistSongAlbumLabel
The Talking HeadsFound a JobOnce in a Lifetime Boxed Set
Babes in ToylandMore More MoreSpirit of '73: Rock for Choice550 Music/Epic
*Balkan Beat BoxJoro BoroNu-MedJDUB
*Life on Earth!Barefoot on TiptoeLook!! There is Life on Earth!Subliminal Sounds
Andrew BirdAction/AdventureFingerlingsSelf-released
*The Polyphonic SpreeLight to FollowThe Fragile ArmyTVT
HairGood Morning StarshineHair - Original Broadway RecordingRCA Victor
(r)The Cocteau TwinsBlue Bell KnollBlue Bell Knoll4AD
*Ulrich SchnaussA Song About HopeGoodbyeDomino
The Sea and CakeShoulder LengthOne BedroomThrill Jockey
*Arthur and Yu1,000 WordsIn CameraHardly Art/Sub Pop
Hank WilliamsLong Gone Lonesome Blues40 Gratest HitsPolydor
Laurie AndersonCoolsvilleStrange AngelsWarner Brothers
The Future Bible HeroesLosing Your Affection (Client on Demand Mix)The Lonely RobotInstinct
Fantastic Plastic MachineBeautiful DaysBeautifulEmperor Norton
*Mark Ronson feat. Santo GoldPretty GreenVersionRCA
*Gogol BordelloHarem in TuscanySuper Taranta!Side One Dummy!
ZZZZForget ItDemoSelf-released
The Red KrayolaBorn in FlamesThe Singles 1968-2002Drag City
*Sonic YouthRain King (Live)Daydream Nation (Deluxe Edition)Universal/Geffen
*White StripesI'm Slowly Turning Into YouIcky ThumpWarner Brothers
Troubled HubbleNancyPenturbiaLatest Flame Records
Pizzicato FiveIf I Were a GroupieThe Sound of Music by Pizzicato FiveMatador
*The Beastie BoysDramastically DifferentThe Mix-UpCapitol
Desmond DekkerIsraelitesIsraelitesTKO
The Style CouncilChanging of the GuardConfessions of a Pop GroupPolydor
CocoRosieRainbowarriorsThe Adventures of Ghost Horse and StillbornTouch and Go
Husker DüCould You Be the OneWarehouse Songs & StoriesWarner Brothers
The CocktailsMiss MaplePeelCarrot Top
*GitheadSpace LifeArt PopSwim
*BegushkinNightly ThingsNightly ThingsLocust
Lali PunaFaking the BooksFaking the BooksMorr Music
*John VandersliceKookaburraEmerald CityBarsuk
The Aluminum GroupTiny DecisionHappynessWishing Tree Records
Rufus WainwrightGrey GardensPosesDreamworks
*St. VincentParis is BurningMarry MeBeggar's Banquet
*Of MontrealTropical Iceland (Live of KCRW)Suffer for Fashion EPPolyvinyl
The Go! TeamLadyflashThunder Lightning StrikeMemphis Industries
Buddy HollyI'm Gonna Set ME Foot DownThe Buddy Holly CollectionMCA
Zen for PrimatesFunky TownBlessed Are the Sheep Herders

Labels: , ,

posted by Tony at 11:21 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged