tonybreed: a blog

Friday, May 11, 2007

The highways and cars were sacrificed for agriculture: 5/11 showThe highways and cars were sacrificed for agriculture: 5/11 show

Starting next week I'll be sharing my show with Seville; we'll alternate every other week. The shift will also be longer — 6 to 9am (actually 6-10; 3 hours of music and 1 hour of Democracy Now). This summer schedule lasts till late August.

My next show is actually June 1st; I'll be off for the next two weeks.

Two songs from todays' show — "Le Cygne" by les Innocents and "Can't Get Enough" by the London Suede — are songs I heard on the radio in Paris in 1999. The album by les Innocents remains one of my favorites. I liked it so much, I bough another album by the band, and it was really not very good. So I satisfy myself with the one masterpiece.

I played something by a local artist, Josephine Foster, who I had not heard before. The song was very interesting and a bit odd. The style is what you might call eccentric folk, and it's reminiscent of Tiny Tim, except that Tiny Tim is rather grating and Foster isn't really. Still, it's probably not for everyone.

Bobby Bare Jr. came to my attention because he did a country-inflected cover of the Smiths' "What Difference Does It Make?" His father is a country star, and his music fuses country and rock elements. It's quite good, and the song I played ("Adorable Beast") is my favorite on the album. (The album title comes from a line of the song: "I look cute at the end of your leash, you adorable beast".)

*: new stuff
(r): requests

artistsongalbumlabel
The Talking HeadsNothing but FlowersOnce in a Lifetime
The London SuedeCan't Get EnoughHeadmusicColumbia
*Opsvik & JenningsThe Last Country VillageCommuter AnthemsRune Grammofon
*Elliott SmithAll Cleaned OutNew MoonKill Rock Stars
HaaleThis HighParatrooperDarya Records
*ThilgesIzdiucz (radio edit)La Double AbsenceStaubgold
*Charlotte GainsbourgTel que tu es5:55Because Music/Vice
Les InnocentsLe cygneLes InnocentsVirgin France
Keren AnnLa forme et le fondNolitaCapitol
Paris ComboLe roi de la forĂȘtLiveArk 21
*Mary WeissI Just Missed YouDangerous GameNorton Records
The Shangri-La'sRemember (Walkin' in the Sand)The Myrmidons of MelodramaRPM
Josephine FosterCrackerjack FoolHazel Eyes, I Will Lead YouLocust
The Fiery FurnacesMy Dog Was Lost But Now He's FoundBlueberry BoatRough Trade
Belle and SebastianLe Pastie de la BourgeoisiePush Barman to Open Old WoundsMatador
ZerostarsDad's DressThe Good Can't Escapeself-released
zerostars.com
*The RaceIce StationIce StationFlameshovel
*Rufus WainwrightDo I Disappoint YouRelease the Stars Geffen
Babby Bare Jr.You Adorable BeastFrom the End of Your LeashBloodshot
*(r)Feist1234The ReminderInterscope
Love & RocketsNo New Tale to TellEarth Sun MoonBeggars
Ric CarteyMellow Down EasyGet Hot or Go Home: Vintage RCA Rockabilly '56-'59The Country Music Foundation
*Mavis StaplesEyes on the PrizeWe'll Never Turn BackAnti-
Cheer AccidentSociety at LargeYounger Than You Are NowPravda
The GossipStanding in the Way of ControlStanding in the Way of ControlKill Rock Stars
Louise AttaqueQu'est ce qui nous tente?Comme on a ditTrema/Sony
Brisa RochéWarnedThe ChaseMetro Blue
*The Sea and CakeExact to MeEverybodyThrill Jockey
Aimee MannGoing through the MotionsThe Forgotten ArmSuper Ego

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 10:21 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged