tonybreed: a blog

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Memorial day weekend tribute show...

Tonight I decided to do a tribute show to people who had passed on, in honor of Memorial Day, and in particular Desmond Dekker, who died yesterday at 64. I got more requests than I usual. It was a nice show.

I did play new songs as well, and those were not really tribute songs... no one had died (except that Built to Spill's former dummer Andy Capps died Friday as well -- but he didn't play on the track I played.)

Built to Spill* - Conventional Wisdom (for Andy Capps)
Desmond Dekker - Israelites

Nina Simone - You Better Know It
Jeff Buckley - Lilac Wine
Elliott Smith - Baby Britain

Fazzini* - 06
The Marlboro Chorus* - I'm So Bored
Pretty Girls Make Graves* - Parade
Alec K Redfearn and the Eyesores* - Valse II

Chin Up Chin Up - We Should Never Have Lived Like Skyscrapers (for Chris Saathoff)
Stereolab - The Sound of Carpet (for Mary Hansen)
B-52's - Song for a Future Generation (for Ricky Wilson)
Shonen Knife - Burning Farm (for Mana "China" Nishiura)

Material Issue** - Renee Remains the Same (for Jim Ellison)
Morphine** - Honey White (for Mark Sandman)

Frank Zappa - Cosmik Debris
Warrren Zevon - Hit Somebody (The Hockey Song)
Silkworm** - LR72 (for Michael Dahlquist)
Kirsty MacColl - They Don't KNow

Demolition Doll Rods* - Amazing Grace

* From our new release list
** Requests

Labels:

posted by Tony at 7:39 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger Kenneth Burns said...

"Song for a Future Generation" is a great B-52's tune for saluting the late Ricky Wilson, since that's one on which he clearly identifies himself, and also states a few preferences. (I wonder what kind of computer he had?)

6/26/2006 3:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged