tonybreed: a blog

Friday, May 02, 2008

Inventing Situations - 5/2 show

One of the new albums in the studio is by the New Zealand parodists Flight of the Conchords. Humor bands can get tiresome, but these guys seem pretty good. The song I played is a parody of a French 60's pop, and features the kind of French dialogue that you can understand if you've ever studied French, ever, even for just a year. It's a funny song (with a funny video).

Anyway, this inspired me to play a full set of French songs. In the 80's, the French pop music scene was a bit of a wasteland, but now they are producing a lot of good stuff. Everyone knows Air by now; they made the soundtrack to the movie The Virgin Suicides, and last year's Pocket Symphony was one of my favorite albums of the year. So, what else is there?

Camille came recommended to me by my friend Graziella. Her music is reminiscent of afropop, with overdubbed harmonies that sound like Zap Mama. I picked Le Fil up last spring (2007), but it's a couple of years older than that.

Les Négresses Vertes started in the late 80's mixing rock with bal musette; sometime in the 90's they shifted their sound to something much more electronic and dancey. I picked up Trabendo in 1999.

Stereo Total is band that's also gotten some international attention. The duo do not sing well, but it's good rock music, and good singing is not required.

I've been trying to think of other French bands I know, that I could have played — Louise Attaque, Les Innocents, Olivia Ruiz, Superbus, L'Affaire Louis Trio, Orwell, Justice, Paris Combo, Uztaglote. Am I missing anything?

(Not to mention Quebecois bands and artists like Ghislain Poirier and Les Sequelles. Really, that's a whole other scene.)

*: new stuff
(r): requests

artistsongalbumlabel
Talking HeadsFound a JobMore Songs about Buildings and FoodSire
Bebel GilbertoBring Back the Love (Bombay Dub Orchestra Remix)Bring Back the Love RemixesSix Degrees
*PomegranatesThunder MeadowEverything's AliveLujo
*Jamie LidellA Little Bit of Feel GoodJimWarp
Universal JubileersChildhood DaysGood God! A Gospel Funk HymnalNumero Group
*PortisheadThe RipThirdIsland
Nina SimoneYou Better Know ItMy Baby Just Cares for MeDuchesse
The ZincsBurdensome SonBlack PompadourThrill Jockey
Antony & the JohnsonsDeeper than LoveAntony & the JohnsonsSecretly Canadian
*REMMr. RichardsAccelerateWarner Brothers
The Red KrayolaBorn in FlamesSingles (1968 - 2002)Drag City
CanastaMicrophone SongWe Were Set UpBroken Middle C
*Tokyo Police ClubYour English is GoodElephant ShellSaddle Creek
The SmithsHand in GloveHatful of HollowSire
The London SuedeCan't Get EnoughHeadmusicnude/Columbia
*(r)The FoalsCassiusAntidotesSub Pop
*Flight of the ConchordsFoux de FafaFlight of the ConchordsSub Pop
CamilleLa jeune fille aux cheveux blancsLe filVirgin
Les Négresses VertesLes mégotsTrabendoVirgin France
Stereo TotalMiss RébellionParis-BerlinKill Rock Stars
*HaaleNo CeilingNo CeilingChannel A
*Why?Simeon's DilemmaAlopeciaAnticon
Paper Airplane PilotsHelium BalloonWestern Automatic MusicSpade Kitty
*ZerostarsSleeping InBasement StoriesSelf-released
zerostars.com
Shy ChildBreak Your NeckOne with the SunSay Hey Records
*Man ManThe Ballad of Butter BeansRabbit HabitsAnti-
Astrud GilbertoCorcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars)Jazz Masters 9Verve

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 10:38 AM

1 Comments:

Blogger gems and purls said...

umm.... Air, but that's probably obvious. As is Daft Punk.

I recently borrowed Air's Pocket Symphony from the library on an emergency basis - I had just picked up my car from the body shop on the way to work, and had no CDs with me. I usually avoid Air, because it's hard to listen to it without feeling like you're spying on college kids boinking. I liked this anyway....

5/06/2008 6:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged