tonybreed: a blog

Friday, April 11, 2008

Yo Te Quiero Infinito - 4/11 show

Have I said this before? Is there a better song that so completely mangles Spanish as The Clash's "Spanish Bombs"? Honestly, I didn't even notice it was Spanish until the guys from Sound Opinions pointed it out. "Yo te quiero" ("yoh teh KYEH-roh") is sung as "yoh teh KEWH-ra". I sing along when this song is on, and I pronounce it right, and well, it makes it all easier to take. It is a great song, after all, and mostly in English.

I tell you I am no Oasis fan, and not even really a big Ryan Adams fan, but Ryan Adams's cover of Oasis' "Wonderwall" is excellent — spare and sort of spooky. "Wonderwall" is a great song. I've liked every cover of it I've heard, including the 60's pop parody by The Mike Flowers Pops (spot-on enough to make me think for a moment that Oasis had covered a song from 30 years earlier).

So this week's show as in anticipation of the CHIRP Record Fair, and I played a number of songs on vinyl, including some b-sides. I played Kate Bush's haunting cover of the traditional song "The Handsome Cabin Boy", as well as the spacy-funky "Monkey Monkey" by Eurythmics, the b-side to "Love is a Stranger." It was fun. There were other things I wanted to play but more or less couldn't — for example, ELP's "Baba Yaga's Revenge", a piece they composed for their version of Pictures at an Exhibition, but I found that the tracks on that album flow together and it would have been murder to cue up. But I listened to it at home the other night, so that was fun. I probably wouldn't have dragged it upstairs and played it without this impetus.

*: new stuff
(r): requests

artistsongalbumlabel
The ClashSpanish BombsLondon CallingEpic
The Shangir-LA'sOut in the StreetsThe Myrmidons of MelodramaRPM
Laurie AndersonO SupermanTalk Normal AnthologyRhino
Kate BushThe Handsome Cabin BoyThis Woman's Work (b-sides disc II)EMI
*HaaleOff-Duty Fortune TellerNo CeilingChannel A
*DeVotchKaA Blessing in DisguiseA Mad & Faithful TellingAnti-
Ryan AdamsWonderwallLove is Hell pts 1&2Lost Highway
Neko CaseSoulful Shade of BlueThe Tigers Have SpokenAnti-
*Why?Song of the Sad AssassinAlopeciaAnticon
The Aluminum GroupThe Mattachine SocietyPlanoMinty Fresh
*HeadlightsMarket GirlSome Racing, Some StoppingPolyvinyl
Martha & the MuffinsTeddy the DinkTrance and DanceDinDisc/RTC
*The Apples in StereoOn Your OwnElectronic Projects for MusiciansTep Roc
WilcoPick Up the ChangeA.M.Sire/Reprise
The Folk ImplosionOne Part LullabyOne Part LullabyInterscope
(r)The CureThe Edge of the Deep Green SeaWishElektra
*Faceless WerewolvesCouldn't Believe It BluesPardon Me, Are Those Your Claws on My Back?Super Secret
*Crystal CastlesCourtship DatingCrystal CastlesLast Gang
Toshinori KondoShosuke-san(Taihen/Shosuke-San single)
*The Mae ShiYoung MarksHLLLYHTeam Shi
LuxuryGreen HeartsYellow Pills PrefillNumero Group
*The BreedersBang OnMountain Battles4AD
The HusbandsB.I.L.L.Y.There's Nothing I'd Like More Than to See You DeadSwami
The TouristsSo Good to Be Back Home AgainReality EffectEpic
*Vampire WeekendCape Cod Kwassa KwassaVampire WeekendXL
EurythmicsMonkey Monkey(b-side of Love is a Stranger single)RCA
Os MutantesPanis et CircensisTropicália ou Panis et CircensisUniversal
The FutureheadsSkip to the EndNews and TributesStar Time/Vagrant

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 10:42 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged