tonybreed: a blog

Friday, April 18, 2008

No Time to Think about What She's Done - 4/18 show

There was an earthquake today! This is exciting news in Illinois, where this sort of thing never happens — especially since no one was hurt. It woke me up about 7 minutes before my alarm was to go off, though I didn't know what had happened. It wasn't till I heard the news later and found out the exact time it happened that I realized why I'd woken up to early.

One called made a request in honor of the event: "Of Pressure" by Mirah, which is a song about an earthquake. (Mirah's last album, last year, was a concept piece in which each song was about a different kind of insect.) During the song another caller called to ask if I was playing the song because of the earthquake. Yes. Yes I am.

Not that I would have had any better ideas without the call... "I Feel the Earth Move" by Carole King? Boy, I bet that got a lot of play on other stations today...

EMI did not apparently send a copy of the new B-52's album, Funplex, to the station, but they did send an album of remixes (which are still being reviewed). So I bought my own copy — of course, how could I not — and today I played my favorite song from the album, "Eyes Wide Open". Now, any time a DJ plays their favorite song from an album, they hope to get a good response (and to be fair, when I got to the office, Julio commented that he'd heard it and liked it). But this time a caller (actually the same caller who requested Mirah) said she though the song was too much like Madonna... or at least she found the lyrics too much like Madonna, though she liked the music. I dunno. I still like the song.

Meanwhile, DeVotchKa's A Mad & Faithful Telling is officially my favorite album of the year so far.

*: new stuff
(r): requests

artistsongalbumlabel
Talking HeadsAnd She WasOnce in a Lifetime Boxed Set
Bobby ConnPunch the Sky/AnybodyKing for a DayThrill Jockey
*GoldfrappHappinessSeventh TreeMute
*REMHollow ManAccelerateWarner Brothers
Jacques BrelLes BourgeoisNe Me Quitte Pas
Kate BushAll We Ever Look ForNever ForeverEMI-Manhattan
*Herman DuneI Wish I Had Someone That I Loved WellI Wish That I Could See You Soon EPEverloving
Phillips & DriverOh StarskyTogethernessBar None Records
*Stephen Malkmus & the JicksWe Can't Help YouReal Emotional TrashMatador
Amy WinehouseSome Unholy WarBack to BlackIsland
Mavis Staples99½We'll Never Turn BackAnti-
Grace JonesI've Seen That Face Before (Libertango)Private Life: The Compass Point SessionsIsland
*Crystal CastlesAlice PracticeCrystal CastlesLast Gang
Deee-LiteWhat Is Love?World CliqueElektra
Happy MondaysDennis and LoisPills 'N' Thrills and BellyachesElektra
*The B-52'sEyes Wide OpenFunplexEMI
Les Négresses VertesLes MégotsTrabendoVirgin France
(r)Hot ChipBaby SaidComing On StrongAstralwerks
*Elf PowerFried OutIn a CaveRyko
*DeVotchKaTransliteratorA Mad & Faithful TellingAnti-
Chin Up Chin UpI Hope for TumbleweedsWe Should Never Have Lived Like We Were SkyscrapersFlameshovel
*HaaleAy Dar ShekastehNo CeilingChannel A
The Fiery FurnacesMy Egyptian GrammarWidow CityThrill Jockey
*The HeavySet Me FreeGreat Vengeance and Furious FiveCounter
Frank ZappaUncle RemusApostrophe'Rykodisc
(r)MirahOf PressureYou Think It's Like This but It's Really Like ThisK
AntietamThe HoldVictory ParkCarrot Top
Man ManMister Jung StuffedRabbit HabitsAnti-

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 10:49 PM

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the new B-52s album, but I have to say I'm a little disappointed lyrically. Mainly because I can't play it in the car with my 7-year-old, who would pick on "robots, bootybots, erotobots" in a heartbeat. Some things mama don't wanna 'splain quite yet.

4/20/2008 6:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged