tonybreed: a blog

Monday, July 16, 2007

Open up the broken cup - 7/16 show, subbing for Mary

I promised some notes:

Gogol Bordello is immensely fun "Gypsy punk" — imagine the Gypsy Kings fultered through garage-punk. I discovered them from a listener request, back when I had a Saturday night show. They were performing in Chicago that night, and the listener was on his way to the show, and wanted to get in the mood, so I played somethign for him. I confess I didn't get into them much at that point, but now we have a new abulm of theirs in rotation, and it's really great stuff straight through. And I just got an email from my friend JJ saying she loves Gogol Bordello and she's glad I'm playing it. Me too.

And now, today's show:

* New!
(r) Request

ArtistSongAlbumLabel
Nick DrakeThings behind the SunPink MoonIsland
Ulrich SchnaussKnuddelmausFaraway Trains PassingDomino
The Art of NoiseGalleons of StoneIn No Sense? Nonsense!China Records
*PlantsTumbleweedPhotosynthesisStrange Attractors
*InterpolPace is the TrickOur Love to AdmireCapitol
Daylight BasementAny Kind of PrettyAny Kind of PrettySelf-released
Rufus WainwrightRebel PrincePosesDreamworks
Bobby ConnLove Let Me DownKing for a DayThrill Jockey
*Gogol BordelloSuddenly... (I Miss Carpathy)Super Taranta!Side One Dummy
*A Hawk and a HacksawRomanian Hora and Bulgar (Live Somewhere in Europe)A Hawk and a Hacksaw and The Hun Hangar Ensemble EPLeaf
Kate Bush with PrinceWhy Should I Love You?The Red ShoesColumbia
*ChromeoTenderoniFancy FootworkVice
Grandmaster FlashThe MessageThe MessageSakkaris
The Aluminum GroupTwo-Bit Faux ConstructionPedalsMinty Fresh
*Sonic YouthCandleDaydream Nation (Deluxe Edition)Universal/Geffen
Pit er PatSolsticePyramidsThrill Jockey
Nina SimoneThe Gal from Joe'sMy Baby Just Cares for MeDuchesse
*Savath and SavalasPaisajeGolden PollenAnti-
*The White StripesConquestIcky ThumpWarner Brothers
Joe JacksonStepping' OutHot Chip-DJ Kicks!K7
M+MBlack Stations/White StationsMystery WalkOne Way
*Bonde do RoleMarina do BairroWith LasersDomino/Mad Decent
*The Ladybug TransistorIn-BetweenCan't Wait Another DayMerge
Andrew BirdScythian EmpireArmchair ApocryphaFat Possum
Jamie Lidell feat. piano by GonzalezMuliply (In a Minor Key)Multiply AdditionsWARP
Tom WaitsClap HandsRain DogsIsland
Mavis Staples featuring Ladysmith Black MambazoDown in MississippiWe'll Never Turn BackAnti-
*Polyphonic SpreeLight to FollowThe Fragile ArmyTVT
*AirielMermaid InThe Battle of SealandHighwheel
The Kitchens of DistinctionRailwayedStrange Free WorldOne Little Indian
ZerostarsSleeping In2nd album previewSelf-released
*The NationalBrainyBoxerBeggars Banquet
Goober and the PeasMacArthur Park20 More Explosive Fantastic Rockin' Smash Hit ExplosionsPravda
The Gothic ArchiesThis AbyssThe Tragic Treasury (Songs from A Series of Unfortunate Events)Nonesuch
*SpoonMy Little Japanese Cigarette CaseGa Ga Ga Ga GaMerge
(r)*Junior Boy (performing Stars)Sleep TonightDo You Trust Your Friends?Arts and Crafts
(r)*ShellacSteady as She GoesExcellent Italian GreyhoundTouch and Go
IrakereBacaloa con PanSi, Para Usted: The Funky Beats of Revolutionary Cuba, Vol. 1Waxing Deep

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 6:50 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged