tonybreed: a blog

Friday, June 29, 2007

Deep in the Jungle of Thought There is a Clearing: 6/15 show

Notes and comments:

I first heard the Tom Tom Club in the Talking Heads movie, Stop Making Sense, when David Byrne took a break and the rest of the band played "Genius of Love." Tina Weymouth had been in the background, playing bass, and she stepped forward to lead the band; I remember the transformation. My sister bought the album and we listened to it a lot on a trip to Montreal. A year later, she left for college in Montreal and left the tape behind, and I listened to it a lot. Even though the songs on the album have so many varied associations, I still think of Montreal when I hear them. We drove up Mont Royal one evening and looked over the lights of the city; that album was the soundtrack.

But the song "Lorelei" means other things to me, too. I didn't ever analyze the lyrics too deeply, but what it always made me think is the inner life of the mind, and the idea that you could meditate and discover this place inside of you. The metaphor of the "jungle of thought" (today's blog post title comes from the lyrics to this song) resonates with me in part because I have always loved forests. A a child in the woods up in northern Michigan or at Caratunk Wildlife Refuge in Seekonk, Mass, I spent a good deal of time wandering through the woods and finding those clearings, as well as creeks and boulders and vivid mushrooms and whatever else the woods might hold.

That's a lot of associations for one song, I suppose. But this is what music is — not all of it, but the best songs stay with us our whole lives and remind us not just of people and places, but also of ourselves: who we are, who we used to be, and who we want to be. I've had this idea of creating a mix CD of the soundtrack of my life, but I don't think there's anything really served by cataloging and collecting these songs in one place; I think I prefer to happen upon them here and there, and realize while I'm listening, "this is one of those songs."

And now, the playlist:

*: new stuff
(r): requests

ArtistSongAlbumLabel
Tom Tom ClubLoreleiTom Tom ClubSire
Rufus WainwrightDo I Disappoint You?Release the StarsGeffen
*Chow NastyHot Sticky NikkiSuper Electrical RecordingsOmeg
*Von SüdenfedDearest FriendsTromatic Reflexxions
MustangsThe Time for Loving is NowCult Cargo: Grand Bahama GoombayNumero Group
HaaleMorgue SaharMorningDarya Records
FeistInside and OutLet It DiePolydor
Alice SmithLove EndeavorFor Lovers, Dreamer, and MeBBE
*Lavender DiamondOh NoImagine Our LoveMatador
*Oh My GodBut That's Just Me (Song for the Holidays)Fools Want NoiseSplit Red
The Cryan ShamesThe PainterSynthesisSundazed
*Gogol BordelloSuper Theory of EverythingSuper Taranta!Side One Dummy
X-Ray SpexOh Bondage Up YoursGerm-Free AdolescentsCaroline
Nina HagenSmack Jack14 Friendly Abductions: the Best of Nina HagenColumbia
*BattlesDDiamondDMirroredWARP
*BumpsBaby JohanBumpsStone's Throw
Mavis Staples99 and ½We'll Never Turn BackAnti-
(r)Boss HogI Idolize YouBoss HogGeffen
Edith PiafMilordThe Voice of the Sparrow: the Very Best of Edith PiafCapitol
*MontagMechanical KidsGoing PlacesCarpark
Troubled HubbleI Love My CanoeSun Beamed OffMagic Spot
Romeo VoidFlashfloodWarm, in Your CoatColumbia/Legacy
The Juan MacLeanTito's WayLess than HumanDFA/ Astralwerks
*DommmHidden SunYoloxochitlYoung Cubs
*Savath and SavalasFaltamos PalabrasGolden PollenAnti-
*Miracle FortressMaybe LatelyFive RosesSecret City
Fujiya and MiyagiPhotocopierTransparent ThingsDeaf Dumb + Blind Communications
Blondie11:59Parallel LinesChrysalis
The B-52'sDance This Mess AroundThe B-52'sWarner Brothers
TinariwenAwa DidjenAman Iman: Water is LifeWorld Village
*PelicanLost in the HeadlightsCity of EchoesHydra Head
Kronos Quartet and Mogwai (Clint Mansell, Composer)Tree of LifeThe FountainNonesuch
ZerostarsLike the Daylights2nd album previewwww.zerostars.com
*Meg BairdRiver SongDear CompanionDrag City
Lena HorneThe Lady is a TrampSome of the BestLaserlight
The GossipStanding in the Way of ControlStanding in the Way of ControlKill Rock Stars
*ApparatHailin from the EdgeWallsShitkapult
Sage FrancisSlow Down GandhiA Healthy DistrustEpitaph
(r)Prefuse73 featuring Sam PrekopLast LightVocal Studies and Uprock NarrativesWARP
*FridgeCometsThe SunTemporary Residence

Labels: , , ,

posted by Tony at 12:02 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged