tonybreed: a blog

Friday, June 15, 2007

Your former glories and all the stories: 6/15 show

This was my pledge drive show, so I tried to play a lot of my favorite songs, and songs and artists I discovered (or learned more about) on WLUW.

I still don't know much about the Nazz (Todd Rundgren's second band), but the song "Open My Eyes" is excellent. In high school, WBRU had a weekly late-night show called "Headphones Only", which featured songs that sounded great on headphones, and generally pushed the envolope more than their typical playlist. It was through this show that I discovered two of my favorite artists, Kate Bush and Laurie Anderson. From time to time I'd tape-record the show as I drifted off to sleep listening to it, so I could listen more carefully later. I only had one 120-minute tape (60 minutes per side, enough for a whole show), and as a result now I still have two old shows recorded. Slowly I've figured out what a lot of the songs are (the DJ was not conscientious about IDing every song), and some day I hope to reconstruct these tapes in digital form. "Open My Eyes" was one of those songs.

Belle & Sebastian is a group Eric and I pretty much entirely discovered on WLUW (though certainly we heard mention of them elsewhere, and my friend Sarah J put one of their songs on a mix for us). Like the Smiths, their early albums feature songs that sound nearly identical to each other; I believe the album Dear Catastrophe Waitress is the first full-length album featuring a notably wider variety of style. The title track is a cute song about a waitress who messes everything up.

Sufjan Stevens is one of my favorite artists. I was referred to him by a webcomic I read (I don't recall which, but it was probably Jeffrey Rowland, John Allison, or R Stevens, all of whom mention music from time to time). Initially I downloaded a handful of outtakes from Sufjan Stevens' web site, and fell in love with them. The only place I've heard his music played outside the internet is on WLUW, though he's getting pretty big, and probably if I listened to other stations, I'd hear him there as well. But at WLUW we love him.

Papas Fritas broke up after their most successful album. That happens. Of course, the female singer was in grad school studying something like Social Services, so one might guess that being in a band was not her first priority. "Way You Walk" is one of those songs I hear on my iPod and then play again as soon as it's done. It's a near-perfect song. It was also featured in a Dockers commercial. (Good for them, I say! It got them some attention and some nice cash; for an indie musician, cash means freedom. Fortunately the song did not turn into — at least not for me — "that song from the pants commercial.")

*: new stuff
(r): requests

ArtistSongAlbumLabel
Siouxsie and the BansheesCities in DustBest ofPolydor UK
David ByrneGlas, Concrete, and StoneGrown BackwardsNonesuch
*The VeilsAdvice for Mothers to BeNux VomicaRough Trade
*The Long BlondesGiddy StratospheresSomeone to Drive You HomeRough Trade
The SmithsStill IllThe SmithsRough Trade
FlosstradamusEgyptian LoveMyspace Tracks
*WilcoWalkenSky Blue SkyNonesuch
Neko CaseSoulful Shade of BlueThe Tigers Have SpokenAnti-
*Jana HunterPalmsThere's No HomeGnomonsong
Seu JorgeTive Razão: Voltaire MixCruWrasse Records
Cesaria EvoraAngola: Bateau Ivre rework by Pepe BradockClub SodadeBluebird
The AerovonsEverything's AlrightResurrectionRPM
*The Jai-Alai SavantSugar FreeFlight of the Bass DelegateGold Standard Laboratories
Belle and SebastianDear Catastrophe WaitressDear Catastrophe WaitressRough Trade
Ariel Pink's Haunted GraffitiGood Kids Make Bad GrownupsThe DoldrumsPaw Tracks
The B-52'sGive Me Back My ManNude on the Beach: AnthologyRhino
*ElectrelaneTo the EastNo Shouts, No CallsToo Pure
Nina SimoneBlack Is the Color of My True Love's HairAnthologyBMG
Kate BushSaxophone SongThe Kick InsideEMI
*The EffigiesScarecrowResideCriminal IQ
Martha CarsonNow StopGet Hot or Go Home: Vintage RCA Rockabilly '56-'59Country Music Foundation
eX-GirlVenus vs. Gas OnnaEndangered SpeciesAlternative Tentacles
*Her Space HolidayI Luv the Valley OH!Xiu Xiu: Covered and Remixed
Sufjan StevensAll Good Naysayers Speak Up or Forever Hold Your PeaceMichiganAsthmatic Kitty
BeulahA good Man is Hard to KillThe Coast is Never ClearVelocette
The NazzOpen My EyesOpen Our Eyes: The Nazz AnthologySanctuary Records
*Lavender DiamondOpen Your HeartImagine Our LoveMatador
The Aluminum GroupTiny DecisionHappynessWishing Tree
ZerostarsDad's DressThe Good Can't Escapeself-released
*David VanderveldeNothin' NoNothin' No EPSecretly Canadian
Meryn CadellFlight AttendantAngel Food for ThoughtBongo Beat
*Matthew DearMidnight LoversAsa BreedGhostly International
Papas FritasWay You WalkBuildings & GroundsMinty Fresh
*Art BrutPump Up the VolumeIt's a Bit ComplicatedDowntown

Labels: ,

posted by Tony at 9:08 AM

2 Comments:

Blogger Mi said...

They play Sufjan Stevens on WXRT. Not to rain on your independent parade.

6/19/2007 10:33 PM

 
Blogger Tony said...

...which is why I say "probably if I listened to other stations, I'd hear him there as well."

It's still true that I've only heard him on WLUW. I only listen to XRT about 10 minutes out of every month.

6/20/2007 9:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged