tonybreed: a blog

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Hellboy, Zerostars at Schuba's, CHIRPlogging, and gardening.

The week was pretty mellow for me. Without the CHIRP record fair approaching, and without my radio show, I had a kind of welcome respite. (Yesterday I slept in a bit.)

So I went to see Hellboy on Tuesday, which was great fun. Visually, magnificent, and very imaginative. The plot, on the other hand, was a bit predictable. Plot devices signaled their approach from miles away. The writing was also not always up to par. Generally, though, I enjoyed it anyway. There were only a couple of scenes that bothered me, and the rest, I enjoyed. The predictability of the plot is I think comparable to Calendar Girls: it didn't make it not a good movie.

Then on Wednesday I went to see a show at Schuba's: Zerostars, The Summer Salts, and Essex Chanel. My reason for going was to see Zerostars, and they sounded great; they really rocked up there and seemed to be enjoying themselves. The Summer Salts didn't impress me all that much, though they had a few good songs, while I really enjoyed Essex Chanel, especially the second half of the show, a non-stop back-to-back set of dance tunes. (The odd thing about these two bands is that they are some of the same people; The Summer Salts is a trio led by Travis Lee Wiggins, but all the members write the songs together, whereas Essex Chanel is purely a Travis Lee Wiggins project, but has a larger stage band. In spite of crossover, they were pretty different.)

Meanwhile, I've been blogging on the CHIRPlog. I posted a short list of sad songs and an analysis of a Kate Bush cove by the J Davis Trio.

And of course there's gardening to be done. Though there's a lot planted, and most of it doing well (on creeping juniper just went belly-up), there's still a lot of empty space. Oh well. (By "empty" I mean crawling with weeds. So I have my work cut out for me this afternoon.)

Labels: , ,

posted by Tony at 11:33 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged