tonybreed: a blog

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Radio Silence

Tonight's show began with... 13 minutes of silence. No, not the John Cage piece played three times in a row... but actual dead air silence. Not my fault! Nothing I could do about it! One minute before I was to go on the air, the power went out in the entire building that houses the radio station. Poof! Nothing.

Not knowing what to do, I ran outside to find somebody official-looking, and found one of those emergency phones that campuses put out everywhere. I figured this was an emergency... dead air! dead air! emergency! The guy at dispatch told me that they were aware of the problem and were working on fixing it as fast as possible.

So I went back and waited. I called Eric; he said what was coming through our speakers at home was not so much silence as a dull hum.

And here I'd planned out the first 9 tracks of my show already, so that I would be able to start the show feeling less stressed. So I piled up those 9 CDs and waited. And eventually the power came back on.

And I played the following:
  • Sonic Youth - Tunic (Song for Karen)
  • Made in Mexico - Face of the Earth
    (A Providence band! No, I do not know them. Yes, I probably know someone who does.)
  • Up the Empire - Stars at Noon
  • Calexico - Lucky Dime
  • John Vanderslice - Exodus Damage
  • Edith Frost - It's a Game
  • Stereolab - Interlock
  • The B-52s - Channel Z
  • Le Tigre - Tell You Now
  • The Go Team - Huddle Flash
  • New Order - Age of Consent
  • Of Montreal - Disconnect the Dots
  • Sugarcubes - Hit
  • Os Mutantes - Preciso Urgentemente Encontrar Um Amigo
    (="I urgently need to find a friend")
  • Gilberto Gil, Caetano Veloso, Gal Costa, and Os Mutantes - Parque Industrial
  • Television Personalities - My Dark Places
  • Quasar Wut-Wut - Pulling Yams
And I managed to tape the show, finally. This should give me some good feedback. Am I too quiet? Do I smack my lips? Do I say "um" too much? Probably "yes"...

Labels:

posted by Tony at 8:14 PM

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't heard of ANY of those bands except for the B52's....

4/24/2006 7:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged