tonybreed: a blog

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

I went for a swim...

After living across from Chase Park for a year and a half, it occurred to me that they might have a lap swim in their pool, and I might like to do that there, rather than driving to my gym in Evanston or biking to the lake. So I checked their schedule, and indeed there are about 8 lap swims every week, each one 1 1/2 to 2 hours longs. So I went at 7pm last Thursday, just me with my bathing suit, towel, and sandles, crossing the street. I felt a bit naked.

The pool itself is not terribly long — 15 to 20 yards. It's about wide enough for 4 lanes, but instead it's divided into 3 rather wide lanes. This is just as well, since the people swimming there seemed to have very little idea of pool etiquette: one at a time, swim on the right side, etc. At one point in my swim, I took off across the pool and saw that all three of the guys sharing the lane with me (my lane happened to be all-male at the beginning) had taken off from the opposite side and were swimming more or less abreast. I managed to squeeze through, however.

A number of people, who seemed to congregate in the farthest lane, weren't swimming at all, but more or less lounging along the wall. Perhaps they were left over from the earlier "Adult Swim" period. It was a hot evening (the last night of the heat wave) and so I figured they didn't want to get out just yet. The water was cooler than the air, after all, if not especially cool for lap swimming.

When I got home my eyes were burning from the heavy dose of chlorine. I will need to haul out the goggles next time.

(I experimented with color here, two show what's above water and what's below. I'm pleased with the result; I think it creates a nice feeling of depth.)

Labels: , ,

posted by Tony at 6:44 AM

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tony, I love the swimming sketch - especially how you used the color - I think it might be my favorite so far! I don't know if this would interest you or not, but check out http://www.illustrationfriday.com/. I thought you might enjoy participating in it. Anyhow, I'm enjoying your blog, keep it up! ~Susie

7/08/2005 6:55 AM

 
Blogger Tony said...

Thanks! I'll check out illustrationfriday.com... so many interesting things out there...

7/08/2005 2:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the swimmers, it's art, great composition,and humourous. The color is very affective.

And I like the mystery of the boaters. Great stuff, keep it up.

7/25/2005 9:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Info

My Photo
Name:

Rather than reading my blog, which is boring and never gets updated anymore, may I suggest you read my comic, which is at hitchedcomic.com

I am officially no longer a DJ at WLUW. Long story.

However, the Chicago Independent Radio Project will have a webcast soon, and I'll be a part of that. And we can still talk about music... leave me a comment if there's something on your mind.

My hosts

This blog is hosted by Blogger, but all the images, plus the rest of my personal and professional sites, is hosted by ULTRAsurge.com. They have very cheap rates available for sites like this one, that have low-bandwidth needs.

read more »

Technorati

Powered by Blogger


Blog Directory - Blogged